PAF Pro DP151 or Infinity pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

PAF Pro DP151 or Infinity pickups

Hey all, I am looking at buying a guitar that has Infinity pickups in it and was looking at swapping them out for a set of PAF Pro's DP151's and a ISCV1 single coil. what I would like to know are peoples views on the INF3,INFS3, and the INF4 before I spend the money on the PAF Pro's. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Re: PAF Pro DP151 or Infinity pickups

Some people like the Inf's, but I'd say the majority hate them.
I find them to be utterly awful.
The Paf Pro on the other hand, is fantastic. Beautiful clarity and a good output for all type of music.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 120

The PAF Pro is a massive upgrade over the Infinity pickups. Be aware though, the Infinity bridge is hotter than the PAF Pro.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I used to own a Jem77 GMC with the PAF pro's so I know what they are like and I did like them. But, I foolishly sold the Jem and have kicked myself ever since. The only other pickups I am familiar with in an Ibanez are my IBZ/USA F3 and C2 which I have in both of my 540PSH's. Looks like I will be buying some PAF pro's. Thanks for the help.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Can't go wrong with DiMarzios!
It's like choosing Coca Cola instead if the generic Walmart cola.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Well I just called GTR center and asked for more pics on the guitar. Evidently it has had the edge III removed and a floyd put in so I asked for pics of the trem and the pocket to see if there has been any mods to it. I bought an S370DX for a custom job a few weeks ago from them and did not ask on its condition and they did not offer. When it showed up 2 of the blocks in the trem that lock the strings in were missing and the previous owner tried to scallop the fretboard with apparently a flat file. The board is damaged and the last five frets are toast, completely flat an the treble side of the board. Now maybe he wasn't trying to scallop the board maybe he took "leveling the frets" the wrong way. HA Ha HA. I will post after I get pics thanks all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 AM

I had the DP151 in my 75 Les Paul for very short time a year ago, it was very good. I just finally modified the wiring to make it clean and put it back together today. The DP151 in neck position is AMAZING both as hb or split coil on the LP. I use 500K and don't need to modify to lower resistance even for splitting. It is perfect. hb get all the beef, split get the glassiness without brittle. It is just perfect.

Now I have to find a good bridge pup for the LP. The DP151 is such a big step better than the stock vintage hb.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Alan. I too loved the DP151's when I owned my Jem77 GMC. I am unfamiliar with the infinity pu's that a lot of the new guitars come with. But, it sounds like I will be making a good choice swapping them out. Got pics from the GTR center and the gtr I was looking at getting is off the table now. The previous owner decided to replace the edge III with a floyd but when they modified the route they obviously used a dremel. The body in my opinion was toast. So the search continues. thanks all
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 04:26 PM

If you guitar is a brighter guitar like Strat, consider Tone Zone. I have it in my HSH strat. That was the first after market pup I bought in 97, that was before I was even into swapping pups. I since tried to replace with many others and still end up with the TZ again. It is not even close. The DP151 don't even work for me in the bridge of the strat. It has the chunkiness that no other pup has. The most amazing thing is the sound of the spit coil. I use the north coil ( the one farther from the bridge), it has the twang but none of the ice pick of the strat pup. But if your guitar is dark, then TZ might not be the best.

Check out LonePhantom's site on the half air mod and series capacitor, I have them both and it really help too.

BTW, as I said, I don't know your guitar, if it is as bright as strat, consider Dimarzio Breed neck instead of DP151. DP151 is perfect on Les Paul that is darker guitar. Breed is advertized as a slightly dark version of DP151. I have it in my HSH strat instead of DP151. I tried both, DP151 is great as hb, but the split coil is slightly too glassy. Breed neck for Strat is like DP151 for LP.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I finally bought a set of evos will hopefully be putting the guitar together in a few weeks. When I finish I will start a new post for everyone to see it.

Tags
dp151 or inf3 , inf4 , infs3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode