PAF7 vs Tone Zone 7 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Wink PAF7 vs Tone Zone 7

so...
which one would you prefer @ bridge position ? asssuming we have air norton @ neck position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Re: PAF7 vs Tone Zone 7

I prefer the Tone zone7. It's beefy as hell, and has a very rich warm harmonic presence to it. Both have a very nice way about them. I just sort of depends on what sort of sound you are going for. I will one day have some PAF7's in a 7 string, but for now I'm stoked on the Tz7,An7 and Blaze custom.

~A
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

wat's the difference in TZ7 and PAF7 sound wise? I am into progressive metal.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:38 AM

Tone zone has more mid and bass. The out put is hotter as well, 385 mV versus 220mV from the Paf7. Not a huge difference and both are considered to be lower out put pickups which are more user freindly for 7 strings. Both would work well for the style of music you are playing. The Paf7 is has a classic sound and is warm. The tone zone 7 shares the same charecteristics but warmer, darker more harmonically rich, and it works great with wah pedal frequencies all get along well. I had problems with the Blaze II bridge pickup giving me big definitions with wah. I love the blaze but it just didn't ring the bell for me in the wah catagory. Again these are all just my views and opinions. I think you done well to narrow it down to the tz7 and paf7,,,now it's just time to experiment.

~A
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:33 AM

I've got PAF7s' in my K7 , and I've got another set of PAF7s' waitng to go into my custom 7620 when it gets finished . They work really well with my 'sound' , which is a pretty high gain setup . I'm also tuned down a whole step , to A , and the lows still come through clearly . I've never tried the Tone Zone 7 , so I can't offer pros or cons on it , but I can definately suggest the PAF7s'. I refer to the sound as the '7-string Les Paul' , especially with mahogany bodies on my guitars .
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 AM

To 7 string guitarists the PAF-7 will be best know as the Pickup that now comes stock on the K-7 series, After korn had been using Blaze Necks in thier bridges for quite some time.

The PAF-7 Has the more classic sound as Allen Mentioned above, plus has less output than the Tone Zone 7 giving making it more controllable.

I actually think on the TZ7 they beefed up the lower midrange to give it ball rattle when chugged, because when I've played guitars equiped with them they seem to chug more, naturally emphasising the lower bass notes on the B and E the same way a 6 string would on the E and A. Still it's a nice warm ballenced sound either way, and really it comes down to this:

If you want to hit the power chords more often and you enjoy a thick saturation of distortion go for the TZ7 : The low output from the pickup will allow your amp to dial in the distortion and as a result your tone will be lush and warm when you play leed from the bridge

Conversely, if you want to play Cleaner things, the PAF7 is going to allow you to roll the vollume back and access the band of frequencies you'll want there.

Really, between the two it's a difference you'll only notice when you crank the amp.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:19 AM

SpikeSocietySucks , I agree with your comments on the PAF7s' . They are very controllable . May try the Tone Zone 7 down the road , 'cause I like the idea of thicker chording and 'chugging' along !
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 AM

I never liked my ToneZone on my six string. Would prefer a PafPRO...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 06:32 PM

What do you guys think about the Evolution 7 pickups in the bridge? I am aiming for a Petrucci-esque sound but, unfortunately, his pickups are only available on the JP models.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Why not go for the Tone Zone 7 and the Air Norton 7 if you're going for the Petrucci-esque sound?

As for the Evolution 7, I personally love it as a bridge pickup. Great sounding pickup but I dunno if you can dial in the Petrucci tone with it though. I'm tempted to see how two Evolution 7's would work out. (I was crazy enough to use a TZ7 in the neck already[which sounds great btw], why not try two Evo7's?)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:22 PM

The Blaze bridge is actually closest to the Steve's Special and the Petrucci pickups. So I'd go for that if that is the sound you are looking for.

Not to mention that he used a UV7BK on some of his pre-EBMM albums before getting his custom 7 that is shown in the Ibanez Register.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 PM

Yeah, I have a Universe with Blaze PU's but am not too big on the bridge pickup. I knew he used a BK back in the day but am not too fond of his sound on songs like "Caught in a Web". I love the way his new 7 string sounds but that may be because he is playing through a Road King. For some reason my guitar sounds a bit weak and I'm playing through a Nomad. My EMG equipped six string sounds great and I thought that higher output PU's would be my solution.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier 7
Yeah, I have a Universe with Blaze PU's but am not too big on the bridge pickup. I knew he used a BK back in the day but am not too fond of his sound on songs like "Caught in a Web". I love the way his new 7 string sounds but that may be because he is playing through a Road King. For some reason my guitar sounds a bit weak and I'm playing through a Nomad. My EMG equipped six string sounds great and I thought that higher output PU's would be my solution.
That's because the pickups on his EBMM sound closer to the BLAZE CUSTOM.
I'd say go for the Blaze Custom. Nice mids, superb clarity, awesome power, and really, a sound sort of like 'best-of-both-worlds' between Blaze/PAF/TZ sound. Maybe best Dimarzio bridge pup for basswood/ash/alder etc.

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , blaze neck , bridge pickup , bridge position , bridge pup , dimarzio bridge , les paul , neck position , tone zone , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode