pagebucker - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

pagebucker

i was thinking

i wana get a epi, and modd it up a bit, moslty for chording or whatever, but im not pro

my idea was to get a 2 or 3 humbucker lp cheapie

and wire all the pots with pagebucking setup

what would be the best pups to slam in there to get that page sound../??? think mroe houses of the holy song and or trampled under foot, even a bit of black dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 AM

Re: pagebucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
i was thinking

what would be the best pups to slam in there to get that page sound../??? think mroe houses of the holy song and or trampled under foot, even a bit of black dog
Get a telecaster
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Yeah Jimmy page played LEs Pauls live but in the studio he loved the telecasters.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

hmmmmmm with the twang king pups..??
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Yup a real telecaster. You know people didn't really use aftermarket pickups and such in those days. That came a bit later.

Sairway To Heaven Solo-Telecaster.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

no.....so what kind of pups, standard what...65 tele pups, what are those??
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
no.....so what kind of pups, standard what...65 tele pups, what are those??

Yes, that's true. I don't know which year his tele was on that. But it was a tele. I would think 60s.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 PM

You sure - I thought it was an 80's . . .
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 PM

It doesnt matter, no matter what pickups you put in there you wont magically sound like Page just by picking up a Telecaster and throwing some Duncans in it.
Getting a Tele probably a good starting point, but it's a very small part of getting his sound.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
It doesnt matter, no matter what pickups you put in there you wont magically sound like Page just by picking up a Telecaster and throwing some Duncans in it.
Getting a Tele probably a good starting point, but it's a very small part of getting his sound.

Yeah man, it's not just the guitar and pickups.

Why don't try to creat your own tone based on your own influences?

Do some research (I mean real research not a day or two of thinking) and get a sound you like in a guitar.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
And even then, he's only really been quoted as saying he used a Tele on a couple of songs (most notably the solo for Stairway to Heaven, which was a Tele through a very small Supro amp) - Page was/is a session guitarist, and has/had probably hundreds of guitars to choose from for any given song.

Having said that, his sound really is HIS fingers, not his guitar
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Jimmy's tele had the body of a '58 and the neck of a '59- he hand painted it too. It was given to him by Jeff Beck when they played together in the Yardbirds in '68.

Not only on did he use the tele on Stairway (which is voted the #1 guitar solo of ALL TIME), he used the tele for studio solos on almost all the first 4 albums.

-jemaholic
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
well my dad loves the sound..and he wants a warmoth project, if it were a tele, id try to go with a rear route body, humbucker(tele route) and a neck humbucker....probably with a wenge fingerboard with a maple body/and neck and a banana kramer regular headstock....is that kinda a hot rodded tele or what?? make a zebra top on it with a prs style carve, my dad loves those carves

again tis just a idea, im just wondering what can i practicaly put in there and how close would i get the the page sound

keep in mind, id love to wire it up in pagebucking
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Jimmy's tele had the body of a '58 and the neck of a '59- he hand painted it too. It was given to him by Jeff Beck when they played together in the Yardbirds in '68.

-jemaholic
Here it is in '69.

jim
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
well my dad loves the sound..and he wants a warmoth project, if it were a tele, id try to go with a rear route body, humbucker(tele route) and a neck humbucker....probably with a wenge fingerboard with a maple body/and neck and a banana kramer regular headstock....is that kinda a hot rodded tele or what?? make a zebra top on it with a prs style carve, my dad loves those carves
Just my opinion, of course, but I think there's a lot more to a Tele than just the body shape. Might be a neat guitar, but it would certainly bear almost no resemblance to Page's Tele.

Tags
body shape , jeff beck , jimmy page , les paul , les pauls , neck humbucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode