The perfect match for my Evo bridge? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

The perfect match for my Evo bridge?

So I just puchased a brand new Evo bridge from ****, and I need to find the perfect matching humbucker for my neck position. I'll be installing them into my RGT42DX. Neck-through, mahogany body.

To be honest i only really use my neck position to get better articulation. I especially like to use it for sweeping type licks and to perfect my playing during practice. That said, I'd still like to have some killer tone that will match my Evo bridge nicely. I'd say that I'm going for a decent warmness, but not too fat of a sound because that probably won't make the sweeps sound too great.

The main options I've been looking at have been: Evo neck, Fred, PAF Pro, Humbucker From Hell. The problem is I haven't actually been able to play any of them and I don't really trust the soundbytes on the Dimarzio site. Any suggestions among these choices or perhaps some other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Re: The perfect match for my Evo bridge?

Consider the PAF Joe or Pro. The FRED may be too fat in the neck for your needs, depending on your amp.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 13

The most obvious choice is the Evolution neck, but be aware that these are high output pups. And when I say high, I mean high. It means you'll have some problems with sweep and delicate techniques in general (well, I am) because the sound comes out a little dirty. But it's incredibly easy to get pinch harmonics from these beasts, that's why I love them.

Yes, they have a decent warmness, and the tone is beautiful.

I don't know how well these pup match with the Evo, but I would consider a Seymour Duncan Jazz Model.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Evo neck definitely man, to me, even though I don't like EVO but I love EVO2, and it match perfectly well with the evo neck, whereas both EVO and EVO2 sounded trebly, the neck compensate by it by giving a fat sound, so I can have two sound one treble and one fat bassy sound.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Evo Neck all the way
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 AM

I like the PAF pro in the neck more than the Evo neck. A little less harsh to my ears
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM

PAF Pro in the neck, it's my favorite humbucking neck pickup. It gives a really nice, sweet sound.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...I just installed the PAF Pro...its pretty sweet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Off topic, but do Evos really make your playing sound dirty and sloppy? I've heard many people complain of this (being that Evolutions are such a high output pickup) but I just installed a complete Evo set in one of my RGs and have yet to encounter this problem. Maybe I installed 'em wrong, or picked up a bad set. They sound awesome in any case.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
The most obvious choice is the Evolution neck, but be aware that these are high output pups. And when I say high, I mean high. It means you'll have some problems with sweep and delicate techniques in general (well, I am) because the sound comes out a little dirty. But it's incredibly easy to get pinch harmonics from these beasts, that's why I love them.

Yes, they have a decent warmness, and the tone is beautiful.

I don't know how well these pup match with the Evo, but I would consider a Seymour Duncan Jazz Model.
what are you talking about? the evo neck is only 294MV outptut. that is not very high output.
For example the PAF Pro is 300MV output. And most people will agree the that Paf Pros arent a monster of a pickup.

Anyway I say go with the Paf Pro in the neck. I have an EVO Bridge Paf Pro set up in my 770RG and I really dig it. The Paf Pro has good harmonics in the neck spot.

Tags
evo bridge , evolution neck , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck position , output pickup , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , pinch harmonics , seymour duncan , seymour duncan jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode