Pick ups for a non strat to get the strat tone?? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Pick ups for a non strat to get the strat tone??

I am really finding a place for my Maple neck, baswood body, rg550 and its playing Nile Rogers and gilmore stuff. now at the moment my amp does not compliment the woods really but when played on its own you can really hear the brittle attacky glassy tones those wood produce. Naturally Nile and Dave play Legendary strats but the looks and feel are not for me BUT the sound is

The strat choices on pickup sites seem based on recommending specifically for strats and the woods they are most commonly made from.

Is a strat sound limited to single coils and strats? (sounds dumb i know)

I recorded the guitar in question without the amp etc so you guys can get an idea of the ins and outs of the sound (apologies for the mobile phone recording)

today I very nearly bought the new Vaporizer amp and a 50's vibe strat. holy shiz that thing delivered!
but can i do it with what i have?

I have Bare Knuckle Crawler in the neck of my newer rosewood board rg and i love it! however the one thing i don't like is the darkeness when i hit a low e chord, it is too dark for me. Wierdly compared to my older rg's with rosewood this one is a lot brighter and the one in the vid brighter still so i may do a swap to see. now i do feel i get better Les Paul sounds out of my crawler as it is and apart from the dark bit i love it where it is and i am tempted to get the bridge counter part and keep it in Eb

Any way here is my non BKP guitar that i would like classic full clean woody straty gilmorey nilerogersy
I do understand that the wood and floyd rose will hold this back from a vintage strat, but, hey ho worth a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5sSbEz_Uw

Thanks for the help guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Re: Pick ups for a non strat to get the strat tone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by m t soule View Post
I am really finding a place for my Maple neck, baswood body, rg550 and its playing Nile Rogers and gilmore stuff. now at the moment my amp does not compliment the woods really but when played on its own you can really hear the brittle attacky glassy tones those wood produce. Naturally Nile and Dave play Legendary strats but the looks and feel are not for me BUT the sound is

The strat choices on pickup sites seem based on recommending specifically for strats and the woods they are most commonly made from.

Is a strat sound limited to single coils and strats? (sounds dumb i know)

I recorded the guitar in question without the amp etc so you guys can get an idea of the ins and outs of the sound (apologies for the mobile phone recording)

today I very nearly bought the new Vaporizer amp and a 50's vibe strat. holy shiz that thing delivered!
but can i do it with what i have?

I have Bare Knuckle Crawler in the neck of my newer rosewood board rg and i love it! however the one thing i don't like is the darkeness when i hit a low e chord, it is too dark for me. Wierdly compared to my older rg's with rosewood this one is a lot brighter and the one in the vid brighter still so i may do a swap to see. now i do feel i get better Les Paul sounds out of my crawler as it is and apart from the dark bit i love it where it is and i am tempted to get the bridge counter part and keep it in Eb

Any way here is my non BKP guitar that i would like classic full clean woody straty gilmorey nilerogersy
I do understand that the wood and floyd rose will hold this back from a vintage strat, but, hey ho worth a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5sSbEz_Uw

Thanks for the help guys!!!!
If you are completely purist, then yes get true single coil strat pups on a maple necked 25.5" inch scale guitar. But with hummer, you can get closest to strat with EJ DiMarzio.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humb...ej-custom-neck

It's a little easier to take a single coil and overwind it to sound close to a humbucker, but harder to wind a humbucker to sound close to a single coil. EJ's bright and stratty tone is such a signature for him so to keep that tone in a Gibson this pickup is the closest I have read that has these qualities. How you play and what amps you use will ultimately make the decision on if this is close enough for you.

Below in next link, check out the strat like tone on these humbuckers, and you will hear that it's more Fender strat in tone than the typical Les Paul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O57hx0P6q9A

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-18-2014 at 10:12 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 PM

i couldn't disagree with you more. An over wound single coil still sounds like a single coil but you can split a humbucker in to a single coil.

I recommend you look for brighter pickups like a humbucker from hell in the neck and maybe a mojoe or steve morse model in the bridge. You could also consider switching to 250k pots which will give you more a springy strat feel. You should also look in to getting push pull pots to split the humbuckers or look for wiring configurations that allow you split and or do series/parallel wiring.

Dont get caught up thinking that just because your guitar doesn't look a certain way means you can't get a certain sound out of it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
i couldn't disagree with you more. An over wound single coil still sounds like a single coil but you can split a humbucker in to a single coil.

I recommend you look for brighter pickups like a humbucker from hell in the neck and maybe a mojoe or steve morse model in the bridge. You could also consider switching to 250k pots which will give you more a springy strat feel. You should also look in to getting push pull pots to split the humbuckers or look for wiring configurations that allow you split and or do series/parallel wiring.

Dont get caught up thinking that just because your guitar doesn't look a certain way means you can't get a certain sound out of it.
This^^

DiMarzio AT1 in parallel with 250k pots and a .022 tone cap.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vw9rQnUE48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvRAzMdC-LA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post

I tried splitting both my humbuckers in my LTD Viper 301 with EMG HZ H-1s and while it does give a nice single coil sound, there's a lot missing when simply split to the point it's not really that much like a strat. The percussive attack is not there and it's not as sharp as strat. I much prefer a full humbucker that is extra bright to mimick a strat instead of a humbucker that is split and that will be my next mod.

That being said, I love my push pull pots and that very usable sound, but it's still just not a strat to my ears.

For overwound single coil, I had Duncan Quarter Pounders on my tele, and when backing off the tone a bit, it's a lot like my Gibson humbuckers. Even a stock tele single coil lead pickup with flat pole pieces gets a pretty good Gibson sound with tone rolled off some.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

This I all great advice guys! THANK YOU

To my understanding the floyd rose is the largest barrier in that it robs the connection the wood of the guitar and the vibration of the strings. A strat has that woody cluck because its is more fully connected to denser woods??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m t soule View Post
This I all great advice guys! THANK YOU

To my understanding the floyd rose is the largest barrier in that it robs the connection the wood of the guitar and the vibration of the strings. A strat has that woody cluck because its is more fully connected to denser woods??
That's actually why I picked the two vids to show you. Both are using 2-point trems.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Those are really great tones. It gets me thinking.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Those are really great tones. It gets me thinking.
The EJ that you mentioned and the AirZone with both give great "strat spank" in parallel as well........ The EJ is a little more limited when it comes to high gain rhythm work, so it's a little less versatile but still an incredibly nice pup.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM

What about a humbucker sized P90? It would give you a powerful single coil sound and drop in to your existing pick guard. Plenty of manufacturers make them. Or, take a look at the dimarzio bluesbucker. That split makes an excellent strat tone. http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker

Tags
bareknuckle pickups , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode