Pickup Advice for Custom Strat - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Pickup Advice for Custom Strat

Hey Guys,

I am looking forward to buy a new strat with a floyd and I am thinking changing the pickups.

Here is what I think,

Bridge - DiMarzio Evo
Middle - DiMarzio True Velvet
Neck - DiMarzio The Chopper

I have no idea about the Evo in a Strat bridge. How is drop d performance of Evo? Can anyone share his opinions?

Also, the middle and the neck pickup...Are their combination good for an alder body strat?..

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Pickup Advice for Custom Strat

Need more info before we can offer good advice. Please take a look at this thread, then come back with the needed info:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about passing the post...

So here I go..

I am listening to rock, blues and metal (except the extreme types of metal)

I am thinking buying an alder body, mexican, rosewood fret (21) HSS strat with floyd rose. And I am thinking to modify the bridge with EVH D-Tuna.

I am not a huge fan of any guitarist but I like to listen, EVH, YJM, Vinnie Moore, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Brian May...

At home I am using Guitar Rig 5 with Vox Tonelab Ex and Boss DS-2. In studios, I generally play with Mesa Boogie Rectifier. Once I played with a HSS strat with Mesa and Vox Tonelab the bridge pickup sounded not strong to me.

I have checked the pickup picker in DiMarzio's web site and it recommends the pickups I wrote up.
I am nearly sure about the neck and middle pickups. I guess the The chopper in the neck will be sounded as I want to hear, but I am not sure about the bridge pickup. I want strong mid-bass range pickup. The drop d performance is very important for me also. With my band, we are playing both standard tuning and drop d tuning. So my worries about the drop d performance of the EVO. And the how is the combination of three pickups?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM

An Evo in Drop-D shouldn't be a problem, it's a very bright, clear pickup as I recall.

It's also VERY hot, which brings you to another problem - you're going to get a BIG volume drop when you switch to the singlecoils from the Evo. If you want your tone to clean up whenever you select a singlecoil that's fine, but if not (and I like to hear the same percieved level of gain from all positions, so this is a big issue for me), you're going to want either something very hot for singlecoils or lower output for your humbuckers.

The Evo is one of the hotter Dimarzios, so if you're sold on it and don't want a huge volume drop that pretty much limits you to their mini 'buckers; The Chopper, the Fast Track 2, the Corgans, the Pro Track, maybe the Air Norton S. I wouldn't touch anything with an output under 200 on Dimarzio's scale.

Alternately, I'd look at a lower output bridge pickup. Maybe a PAF Pro or something - something reasonably bright but without an absurd amount of output, so it'll stay tight in Drop-D.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
An Evo in Drop-D shouldn't be a problem, it's a very bright, clear pickup as I recall.

It's also VERY hot, which brings you to another problem - you're going to get a BIG volume drop when you switch to the singlecoils from the Evo. If you want your tone to clean up whenever you select a singlecoil that's fine, but if not (and I like to hear the same percieved level of gain from all positions, so this is a big issue for me), you're going to want either something very hot for singlecoils or lower output for your humbuckers.

The Evo is one of the hotter Dimarzios, so if you're sold on it and don't want a huge volume drop that pretty much limits you to their mini 'buckers; The Chopper, the Fast Track 2, the Corgans, the Pro Track, maybe the Air Norton S. I wouldn't touch anything with an output under 200 on Dimarzio's scale.

Alternately, I'd look at a lower output bridge pickup. Maybe a PAF Pro or something - something reasonably bright but without an absurd amount of output, so it'll stay tight in Drop-D.
Thanks for your advice Drew I'd like to ask a question. If I use 500K pots, do I still got the volume problem in neck pickup?.I have rechecked the dimarzio site and the output of the chopper is 260. With your advice I have also checked the Air Norton S which has 280 output. Air Norton can be a better choice for the neck because of its a humbucker character pickup.

I have already have Paf Pro bridge but I could not find a chance to use it in any guitar. I bought it for getting close tones to Sambora. If I decide to use Paf Pro, what would be your advice about pots? 250 or 500

Best regards ..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Definitely 500k pots if you're putting a humbucker in the bridge position, and most of the Dimarzio noiseless pickups are designed for 500k as well.

If you already have a PAF Pro lying around, use that. If you like it then great, and it'll give you a lot more flexibility in finding singlecoils than an Evo or something similar would.

What kind of a singlecoil tone are you after?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Best combo for that style is the DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge, PAF Pro neck.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Best combo for that style is the DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge, PAF Pro neck.
You realize he's looking for a SSH setup, right?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You realize he's looking for a SSH setup, right?
Yes, HSS strat is a better option for me. I am looking some YJM tones in the neck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Then get a Super D and a couple of Fast Tracks or Area singles.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerRh View Post
Yes, HSS strat is a better option for me. I am looking some YJM tones in the neck
Hmm. The Duncan YJM Fury, perhaps? I've never played one,but it'd probably get you close.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ks10_yjm_fury/
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

I've never played too. I watched some videos on youtube, the chopper's tone was very close on YJM or what I want to hear That was my first choice on neck .

Tags
dimarzio , evo , floyd rose , strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode