pickup help - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

pickup help

hello, i have a breed(bridge), hs-2(middle wired for single coil) and a paf pro (neck) anyway, the other day i noticed that the breed wasnt really working properly, so i opened up the guitar, re-soldered one of the wires (from the breed) back onto the switch, anyway i then noticed that if i pushed on a particular place on the scratch plate the signal cut out, the guitar was alright but tonight the breed was playing up again and the tone pot would not control the tone at all, the pickup now sounds weak again. could someone please show me a wiring diagram ad dont forward me to dimarzio, the switches on their diagrams are not the same as mine, one final thing and probably most important is that the guitar is an rg550 so the switch is the original one that came with the guitar, not the ones on dimarzio or a multipole, any advice would be welcomed thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

the guitar is know wired up as per the jem wiring diagram, however the signal is very weak on all the pickups, through tapping the pole pieces with a screw driver you can hear that in the 2 and 4 positions both the full humbuckers and single coil are making a sound rather than the prper way where only one coi of the humbucker works producing a strat sound, so i have no idea whats wrong with it. also the tone knob does not function at all.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

pickups are now functioning perfectly! however when you move the scatch plate the sound cuts out and if you screw the plate back on the signal will cut out, however if you press on the board the sound comes back, can ANYONE reply and tell me what may be wrong seen as though this has had 22 odd views i cant understand why saddo here is the only one replying!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 01:02 PM

My advice is to make sure the wires arent touching the scratch plate!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

yeah so anyway! me and dad fixed that problem, but the thing is the bloody pickups sound all wrong now! the neck is way too loud the breed is now functioning as a single instead of a humbucker!
i used this diagram and figured out the corresponding colours on the dimarzio wires
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/dia...rsal/hsh1.html
thought this would do it but it obviously didnt
can anyone send me a diagram that is SURE to work properly just for reference my guitar is an rg550 and the switch is the one where all the lugs are on one side, the middle pickup is a hs-2 but i want to wire it for single coil sound, surely some of you have done this before. i remember i had problems about a year ago and alot of you told me you'd replaced the pickups in your rg's, so y'all how did you do it!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 01:08 AM

Mate, before anything else goes wrong, please take your guitar to a shop with a tech. Have 'em figure it out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

probably the best idea!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

i'd just like to say thankyou to everyone who has replaced pickups in their rg's for posting on this thread you guys are the best!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 09:29 PM

Use the diagram on Ibanez.com for the Jem 555, it's the same switch that's in an RG 550 and the Dimarzio pickups all have the same color codes.

Make sure you don't bridge any of the lugs with solder, be sure to use proper strippers for the wires and leave only about 1 mm of bare wire, twist those wires ONCE around the lug (makes for easier removal if needed) and be sure your solder joints are proper. (Do a search on the Internet about it if you're not yet proficient with soldering.)

Be sure to ground everything to the same pot (preferably the volume) and I can't stress enough, double check each joint before moving on to the next joint.

Mic
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

thanx very much! one very, very trivial question, the 5 way switch which way does it sit in the plate, i.e. does the compartment with the actual electronics in it face the tone and volume pots or face away??

nevermind that doesnt make any sense you could wire it up any way the switch is still going to select the right pickup if you've wired it up to the right thingy etc.

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , paf pro , scratch plate , strat sound , volume pots , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode