Pickup help DiMarzio's in SCA220 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Pickup help DiMarzio's in SCA220

We're talking a mahogany body for tone reference.

I'm considering upgrading my pups. I have a pair of V6's in there now and it really sounds good. I've kind of narrowed the field down to Evo, FRED and Breed. Not sure what exactly to do, pair them off or do combos. But my guitar has the single coil splitting option that I've really grown to love, so although I do metal, classic rock and grunge type stuff the bright, glassy tone is important to me too for cleans. Guess I want it all and in one axe, eh? LOL I don't ask for much, really.

Anyway do you guys have any DiMarzio pup suggestions? I'm really torn between the three pups listed above -- that's why I haven't done anything yet -- well, that and I'm waiting for the new NAMM stuff to come out. Leaning toward the Evo's though.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:08 AM

Real men choose evo's

Seriously,they are all good,I must admit i like the Breed and Evo for differant reasons,I'm a huge fan of Paf-Pros too,which should'nt be over looked

Rob
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Real men choose evo's

Seriously,they are all good,I must admit i like the Breed and Evo for differant reasons,I'm a huge fan of Paf-Pros too,which should'nt be over looked

Rob
lol! But I'm not a man!

What's your reasons for the Breed and Evo?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:37 PM

Evos

Hmm... I guess you won't necessarily go with the Evos, then???
Seriously, I think the Evos would be complemented well by the mahogany body for the sound you're looking for. If you had a brighter wood, I would go with the Breeds or PAF Pros.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm diggin' the Evos too. Everytime I listen to the sound clip it seems to be what I'm looking for adn satisfies my ears. If nothing else begs to be bought after NAMM, I'm going for the Evos.

Guess I'm a real man after all.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 12:13 AM

I have Evos in my RG 520 QSTB (mahogany) and I love it.

The PAF Pro I had in the neck was nice too, but they can be a little bright to my ears, not a bad thing, but I wanted it to be a little warmer.

The Evos are great, they are warm and clear, with more bass than most give them credit for, without ever getting muddy. And they REALLY cut through a mix no matter how you run levels and EQ. They hit just the right range so they say "HELLO! THE GUITAR IS RIGHT HERE!" but at the same time they aren't overbearing.

Best bet, try em out, if you don't like them Dimarzio has a great trade in policy.

And in being the sexist pig that I am, I have to say there's nothing hotter than a girl playing some great guitar (and I mean playing well, not just holding a great guitar, :P ). . . ;-)

Mic
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Real men choose evo's

Rob
lol! But I'm not a man!

What's your reasons for the Breed and Evo?
A thousand apologies maa'm (bows)

Evo's rock,they have one side effect,and your sometimes have to roll the treble off on the tone knob for a better clean sound ... They are smooth,atriculate in both 6 and 7 string versions you can't go far wrong with em imho

Welcome to the forum,ignore some of the hormones and testosterone around here ,just don't wear a short skirt .... People in the front row of gigs will see your undies !!!! Oh that goes for the scottish too

Rob
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
People in the front row of gigs will see your undies !!!!
Who says I wear undies during a gig!

j/k

Thanks for the help guys, this board is great.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
People in the front row of gigs will see your undies !!!!
Who says I wear undies during a gig!
Wooo Hooooooo

Quote:
j/k
Doh !!! was looking forward to that ;-)

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, this board is great.
Isn't it just,Freindly as well as usefull

Rob
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Indeed it is, my friend. Indeed it is. And it's nice to see people with a great sense of humor too!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 05:24 PM

hey cassie, if your shooting for versatility, try looking at some more choices. the best all around setup i have ever used is the paf pro/tone zone combo. i too have an s classic. mine is an sc420 with a paf pro and tone zone. killer clean tones, mean-yet not overpowering lead tones to a smooth neck tone, very les paul type. i totally recommend this combo for anyone, although i personally prefer the air norton/tone zone combo in almost everything else i own. the air norton is just a lot fatter than the paf pro and takes to sweeping really well. the AN is really good tapped, too. then again, so the paf pro. the AN is just inherently fatter. just trying to let you know about a couple more options.

rich
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Re: Pickup help DiMarzio's in SCA220

I've got some Super 58 pickups on my J-Custom SC and the tone is really interesting

very nice clean sounds and very versatile configuration
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Re: Pickup help DiMarzio's in SCA220

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98
hey cassie, if your shooting for versatility, try looking at some more choices. the best all around setup i have ever used is the paf pro/tone zone combo. i too have an s classic. mine is an sc420 with a paf pro and tone zone. killer clean tones, mean-yet not overpowering lead tones to a smooth neck tone, very les paul type. i totally recommend this combo for anyone, although i personally prefer the air norton/tone zone combo in almost everything else i own. the air norton is just a lot fatter than the paf pro and takes to sweeping really well. the AN is really good tapped, too. then again, so the paf pro. the AN is just inherently fatter. just trying to let you know about a couple more options.

rich
This is true, but eh... while the TZ is a great pickup, I'm not sold on it in mahogany. But for a neck pup, the AN is terrific. AND! There's more! The AN sounds fantastic split/parallel/split combo. Very, very versatile.

I think EVO/AN combowould sound fantastic. But. as a last caveat, my experience with mahogany is to use a scooped pickup for best results. I have a mahogany RG2027 7-string, and had a TZ7 in there. It's a nice pup, but I wasn't sold. With a TZ in mahogany, you'd better not like treble very much, because you won't be getting ANY. But I put a Blaze Bridge pup in there, and viola! We're talking tone. The scooped mids of the Blaze compliments the inherent middiness of mahogany (although an S might be less prone to the MUDDINESS that can come with it, too, thanks to it's thinner body). And the Blaze's good, clear treble output matches with the mahogany's smoother, less clear attack. What you end up with is a balanced, punchy, clear sound that still has a nice warmth about it.

So, 6-string version of Blaze = Steve's Special. My vote then, is AN neck/SS bridge. Should sound great!

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , bridge pup , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , les paul , mahogany body , neck pup , paf pro , paf pros , scooped mids , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode