Pickup lead wires are bad - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Pickup lead wires are bad

Hey guys,

The lead wires on the pickups of my UCRG1 are bad/broken. The bridge pickup seems okay, but the middle and neck pickups cut in and out when I wiggle the pickups themselves around.

What's the best/easiest way to repair or replace pickup lead wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Pickup lead wires are bad

without knowing exactly where the break is, it's hard to help.

Can you inspect it better? Maybe get some pics?

What pups do you have in it?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Not exactly sure where the breaks are. They've gotta be somewhere really close to the pickups though, probably at the 90 degree bend right where they come out of the pickup. There were no breaks in the insulation or anything when I put them in a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna pull them out and inspect them shortly.

The pickups are the stock IBZ/USA F4 and C3.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the wires on the C3 didn't seem to have anything wrong with them on the outside. The F4 however, did have some marks and imprints on the insulation that could be related to the problem.

It's a shame because I LOVED the sounds of these two pickups. If it's not possible to repair them, is there somewhere I can buy them from?

Pics:

Last edited by kfm946; 07-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Soldering iron touches.

I've seen a ton of this, especially in the first few guitars I wired. Never had it cause a break tho. Unless it was deep enough to melt interior insulation enough to have a hot touching a ground. I'd guess the only way to tell would be to strip the exterior insulation and look. If that's the problem, some heat shrink could get you back in business. If it's an actual break, then get a good magnifying glass and some surgical forceps.....

Last edited by ProgressiveHillbilly; 07-15-2013 at 10:45 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty nervous about stripping the wires down because I'm more likely to damage the pickup even more than repair it.

I think I'd rather get some new pickups instead of trying to repair them, or at least have a pro look at them instead of trying to mess with them myself.

I'm thinking a True Velvet and a PAF Pro or FRED. Although I'm concerned that the PAF and FRED won't sound the same, given the PAF's lower output and the FRED's mid boost.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Do you have a volt meter with a continuity tester. If you do, that will pinpoint the problem immediately. If there is a break and depending on where the break is, it is easily fixable.

If you truly don't want to fix it, the F/C-series pickups are on ebay all the time. You can also order a new set from DiMarzio at any time. They are expensive because they come from the custom department. They're only made to order...... nothing in stock. The cool part is that you can order them with any normal DiMarzio options.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM

^ if you or a friend has a volt meter, I would try that before buying new pups.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 120

Are you certain it's not just a bad solder joint somewhere along the line? I'd be surprised if it were the leads, but even if it were it's not a terribly hard fix to replace them. Due care will get you there safely.

Tags
broken , lead , pickup , short , wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode