Pickup Position Explanation - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Pickup Position Explanation

Could someone give me a quick rundown of what different positions for pickups are good for? (even the obvious)

Example, Neck position is good for smoother lead sounds, Bridge for crunchy rhythm, BOTH humbuckers for....? (I don't even know)

Oh and how do you guys feel about pickups wired parallel, split, and out of phase? I'm interested in how these alter the sound. I think thinking of changing one of my positions to the inner coils of H-H.

Last edited by Fang; 01-31-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 PM

Re: Pickup Position Explanation

Well, neck pickups and bridge pickups are good for... whatever your ear likes them for. There's no rule about what to use each position for, though the sounds you listed are, I suppose, fairly typical.

As for wiring, I really like a neck humbucker wired in parallel for a clean tone. I personally find this far preferable to coil-tapping. I don't find that a bridge humbucker in parallel is quite as useful, though I have been known to experiment with taking a coil from each pickup. In parallel, this seems to result in a tone that's a bit brighter than a neck humbucker in parallel, though still with enough output reduction to result in a nice clean sound.

I also have one HH guitar with a P-Model Megaswitch from Stew-Mac. This gives you:

1 - Bridge humbucker
2 - Inner coils in parallel
3 - Outer coils in series
4 - Outer coils in parallel
5 - Neck humbucker

Position 3 here is interesting. To my ear, the sound is much more defined that the typical "both humbuckers on" setting, with a pretty unique tone, at least with the two pickup sets that I've tried it with. Positions 2 and 4, as you might expect, sound pretty similar. I wish they could have made 4 the neck in parallel, but they were trying to mimick the options on a PRS rotary switch, apparently.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , clean tone , inner coils , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode