Pickup problem - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Fry

Pickup problem

Ok, everyone told me to check my guitar setup and that this fret buzz noise was indeed fretbuzz. I knew something was wrong with my pickups though. When I have the tone knob on anything above about 3, my guitar sounds like it has fret buzz on all the strings. When I have it on 0, there is no buzz at all. What the hell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 02:25 PM

I don't know about your whole situation, but fretbuzz is a high frequency occurrence. As you turn the tone knob down you cut away those frequencies where the fret buzz is audible. It's not a pickup thing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 05:07 PM

Can you hear the buzzing while the guitar is unplugged? This link may help you:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth.../buzzlist.html
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Fry

It doesn't buzz on when the guitar is unplugged or even when it is on the clean channel. It is completely clean sounding on the clean channel. Only when I turn the distortion on is when it comes up. I swear it is the electronics, but I could easily be wrong.(hopefully)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:00 AM

This sounds more like a problem with noise or grounding. If you had fret buzz, you would be able to hear it while the guitar is unplugged. You could have a problem with your amp, guitar cable, or the grounding of your guitar electronics. I doubt it's an issue with the pickups.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Fry

I've plugged my guitar into several different amps and with different cables, and the problem is still there. The ground on the guitar is on the trem claw right? I looked at it, and it seems fine. The buzzing problem is starting to get worse too. It used to only be on the g string, and now it is on the b and d strings. I'm gonna check my frets.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 12:55 PM

Have you tried cleaning the pots???? IT may be something caught in there. Its unlikely as this would be audible on the clean channel as well.

Also where did you try the other amps??? If it is at a store or someone elses house (even a different power outlet) it would most probably br the guitar. If you tried it in the same house it may be the electric from the wall.

I seem to remember my first guitar had an electronics problem. It was a weird hum type thing. I changed the pot to a CTS and it seemed to go away.
Just a though

Freak
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Fry

It is definitely the electricity in my house, cause I have played my guitar at 4 different locations, and it is fine. I am getting a power conditioner, or a filter. I am gonna talk to my dad's friend, who is an electrician.

Tags
fret buzz , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode