pickup question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

pickup question

evening folks.i was just wondering does pickups loose a bit of power as they get older,the pickups in my 777vbk are 18 years old how long do pickups normaly last before the sound quality deterioates (if at all) ????.thanks,rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Re: pickup question

Yes, they do mellow out. A fair few manufactures do this deliberately and market it as a more "vintage" tone. I wouldn't say the sound deteriorates, it just subtly changes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ah good thanks mate.thats put my mind at rest a bit,nice one.rob
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Glad to help. Here's the blurb on Kinman's website about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinman
As a pickup ages it loses some of it's attack and the highs become sweeter with less presence and less Ice-pick-in-your-Ear brittleness. The tone also gets fatter and the pickup looses some dynamic range which means it breaks up easier. New single coils can not be aged artificially as this can only happen in the fullness of time because contrary to certain marketing hype it's not the magnets that age, but I will say that Fender's CS-54 Strat pickup is the closest thing I've heard to aged tone in a new single coil.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM

But if you wanted to bring back that "new" sound of a pickup, or preserve a newer one so that it doesn't age that much what should you do? Clean them with something and/or pot them? Or should you just learn to love the vintage sound?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Glad to help. Here's the blurb on Kinman's website about it:
thanks mate.rob
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sable View Post
But if you wanted to bring back that "new" sound of a pickup, or preserve a newer one so that it doesn't age that much what should you do? Clean them with something and/or pot them? Or should you just learn to love the vintage sound?
I suspect the only way to do it would be to have them re-wound and re-potted. This ageing isn't something that happens over a couple of years - it takes a long time, and rewinding just isn't worth the expense unless you are tying to keep a vintage guitar as original as possible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
I suspect the only way to do it would be to have them re-wound and re-potted. This ageing isn't something that happens over a couple of years - it takes a long time, and rewinding just isn't worth the expense unless you are tying to keep a vintage guitar as original as possible.
Given that an original untampered with Gibson PAF is worth about $3500 today, maybe leaving them alone might be a pretty good idea - almost no pickups sound better new than after a few years of mellowing out, and at least my view is that the longer you let a guitar survive as an un-messed with item, the better the parts learn to resonate with each other, so the guitar just keeps getting better!

..... okay, so I forgot to take the pills this morning ......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode