Pickup Recomendation for Mohogany - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Pickup Recomendation for Mohogany

Yo guys! What's up? I just have a question, I'm wondering what kind of pickups to put in my guitar. Mohogany wood, 2 humbuckers. Wondering if I should do a Seymour Duncan JB(bridge) and a Seymour Duncan Jazz(neck) or a Dimarzio FRED(bridge) and either a SD Jazz or Dimarzio Paf Pro for neck. I'm going for something that can do Satriani'esk and Rammstein stuff.Got any recomendations?

P.S. Must have good clean tones! I don't want high output buckers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:07 PM

I'll let you know when I get mine right

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM

Vintage-voiced pickups nicely tame the midrangey honk of mahogany. I think a Fred/PAF combination would probably sound really good. I use a JB-7 and a '59-7 in my mahogany-bodied Dean and it's a fantastic combo. The '59 is a really amazing sounding pickup, and very versatile. And the JB has lots of bite and killer harmonics.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:54 PM

I'll second the FRED in mahogany. A search of the boards here brought up several recommendations for the FRED-mohog combo, so I thought I'd try it. FRED himself took some getting used to, but once I learned how to tweak the knobs (not running it full-open all the time), I found it to be very vocal, with lots of overtones from the wood. And it still keeps a lot of that Satch crankiness, which I personally love.

PAF Pro has some nice depth to its sound in the neck, and the two together in my normally super-dark guitar have a wonderful clean sound. FRED seems to lend the PRO just enough brightness to keep the "lush" PRO from degenerating into being *too* smooth and round when there's no overdrive or distortion.

Of course, my two pence only. A lot of people love the '59/JB combo, especially in mahogany. Never tried it, but the JB might be a better all-rounder than the FRED, which always has that vowel sound going on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 03:18 PM

DiMarzio The Breed. Played them in RG3120 - they're the best tone you can get out of a mahogany guitar.

Tags
clean tone , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , paf pro , seymour duncan , seymour duncan jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode