pickup recommendations - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

pickup recommendations

Hi. I have had this account for a while but never really used it so this is, I think, my first post. So hi everyone.

I have an Ibanez k7 and the selector has gone so I'm changing it for the Dimarzio multipole. The guitar came with two Paf7 pickups which I did not really like so I changed them a while ago and now am thinking of changing them again depending on what will sound best how it's going to be set up now.

Currently it has a D-Activator bridge in the bridge position and a Tone Zone 7 in the neck.
The selector is going to be configured like this:
1-bridge humbucker
2-bridge south/neck north
3-all coils
4-neck north
5-neck humbucker

The guitar is a K7, 24 fret 7 string with Mahogany body, no pickguard, all stock other than the pickups so there are no tone pots, Floyd Rose trem,
The amp is a Hughes & Kettner Attax 100 head currently with no cabinet, just direct to an AV amp ndd monitors and a pc (2 switchable single 12 cabs are next on the list) Amp is a 120watt Hybrid.

I have heard a lot of people saying the Tone Zone should not be in the neck but I found it to sound very nice and warm without being muddy and power wise matches perfectly to the D-Activator (pretty much identical in power to the D-Activator neck)

Basically I want as much variety as I can get, hence the coil splitting. I want a kind of 'Incubus - Crow Left of the Murder' kind of sound but i also do play a bit of metal and need a decent clean sound. The D-Activator is amazing for metal, by far the best for it I have heard through my amp and it picks up pinch harmonics very very well. I would really like to keep it but because of the power its hard to match so any recommendations are welcome. Not the best guitar for it I know, but I prefer the sound of single coils to humbuckers. Is there a difference between a split humbucker and a single coil? I would also like to keep it Dimarzio but isn't necessary, cost is irrelevant as long as there are no batteries or modding of the guitar body involved. I do not mind recommendations of the Paf7 either, I did not like it a few years ago but my playing and tastes have changed a lot since then.

Any info or advice will be much appreciated, thank you in advance

Last edited by eddy11711; 09-04-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added spec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: pickup recommendations

Hi Eddy, welcome back!!

I wouldn't have any trouble keeping the TZ-7 in the neck, but I would lean towards the Blaze custom in the bridge. With your amp, you (obviously) won't have any trouble with gain or controlling it. The BC7 is amazingly good even with extreme gain, it backs off well too!! It reacts well to volume changes and stays clear and articulate, regardless of gain.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention two things:
1- As the selector has failed, I have the guitar wired onto the volume pot so bypassing the selector, I'm using the neck north coil of the TZ7 in parallel with the south coil of the bridge DA (I think? red and green live, black and white grounded). and it sounds good.
2- The reason I chose the pickups I have in the guitar at the moment was the power and the slight mid scoop on the DA and the stronger mids and matching power of the TZ

The final wiring will not be done by myself, it is being done professionally as i cant even tell exactly how its wired up now with instructions infront of me.

Thanks for the help RGTF, would that match ok with the TZ in the neck? kinda hard question as the TZ is in the wrong place
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy11711 View Post
I forgot to mention two things:
1- As the selector has failed, I have the guitar wired onto the volume pot so bypassing the selector, I'm using the neck north coil of the TZ7 in parallel with the south coil of the bridge DA (I think? red and green live, black and white grounded). and it sounds good.
2- The reason I chose the pickups I have in the guitar at the moment was the power and the slight mid scoop on the DA and the stronger mids and matching power of the TZ

The final wiring will not be done by myself, it is being done professionally as i cant even tell exactly how its wired up now with instructions infront of me.

Thanks for the help RGTF, would that match ok with the TZ in the neck? kinda hard question as the TZ is in the wrong place
I think the outputs would match great!!! As far as tonal differences, I couldn't tell without hearing the TZ. I can say that I put a TZ-S in the middle of my 770 and LOVE IT there. Obviously they're completely different pups with totally different characteristics, but it does show that I have no reason to comply with status quo of what position any pickup HAS to be in...........LOL

Tags
d-activator , dimarzio , k-7 , split coil , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode