Pickup Recommendations? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Pickup Recommendations?

Model: RG1570MRR
Body: Basswood
Neck: Rosewood board / 3pc Maple back

I've got the stock V7/S1/V8, and am looking for:

Articulate playing (Every note heard in the mix)
Sweet and not overly thick tone
Smooth good for Glissando (Guthrie Govan style) and melodic/legato runs.

What I don't want:

Don't like Paul Gilbert's tone, although being quite articulate sounding its too rough. Looking for melodic and smooth.

What I do want:

Malmsteens tone or Petrucci's tone.
Guthrie Govan's tone.

I was thinking PRS Dragon II set, or EVO set (kinda TOO hot, but I can live with it). I'll take any brand or any style of pickup (I was considering Bartolini Jazz or whatever the model number is) except EMG. I can't stand how generic that tone is, due to every pickup sounding the same in every guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:56 AM

Re: Pickup Recommendations?

Paf pro and tone zone is the best, although gilbert is using the tone zone I can't sound like gilbert whenever I pickup my guitar (equipped with tone zone)
I'll always sound like me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 AM

you could just mash what you do want together...

ie put Air norton in the neck, drop sonic in the bridge and a YJM in the middle... sounds like a decent combo to me

Steve
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 AM

Reviews: 1

For a bridge pup you described exactly what a Steve's Special does, they are great pups sweet, glassy, tight, great for progressive styles. For a neck pickup Evo's and the Paf Joe are very clear punchy and articulate. The Joe is a fuller/warmer than the Evo. I like both because they are not super bassy which gets muddy in the neck position.

Let us know what you get.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
you could just mash what you do want together...

ie put Air norton in the neck, drop sonic in the bridge and a YJM in the middle... sounds like a decent combo to me

Steve
I just don't want to end up wasting money if I end up not liking it. Kinda get it right the first time.

Thrash: I'll take a look at a Steve's Special, and yeah, I don't like muddy tone at all. I do like Seymour Duncan Jazz, nice and bright sound and definitely not muddy. EVO seems nice full bodied but with the articulation I want.

Anyone have any experience with PRS Dragon II? I was recommended by a local guitar tech that it will deliver what I'm looking for, but I can't find any examples on PRS's site at all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.R.O. View Post
I just don't want to end up wasting money if I end up not liking it. Kinda get it right the first time.

Thrash: I'll take a look at a Steve's Special, and yeah, I don't like muddy tone at all. I do like Seymour Duncan Jazz, nice and bright sound and definitely not muddy. EVO seems nice full bodied but with the articulation I want.

Anyone have any experience with PRS Dragon II? I was recommended by a local guitar tech that it will deliver what I'm looking for, but I can't find any examples on PRS's site at all.
wastin money is part of finding the right sound.....
every time I buy a new amp or pickups its "wasting money"

there is nothing like trying the stuff for yourself, other peoples written opinions on pickups is almost useless.....
they dont play like you .. even if they have the same amp... its a waste of time...

you need to try for yourself, if they are no good - off to the bay and try something else.

sorry for being no help at all

J.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
wastin money is part of finding the right sound.....
every time I buy a new amp or pickups its "wasting money"

there is nothing like trying the stuff for yourself, other peoples written opinions on pickups is almost useless.....
they dont play like you .. even if they have the same amp... its a waste of time...

you need to try for yourself, if they are no good - off to the bay and try something else.

sorry for being no help at all

J.
Its still nice to hear other people's opinions, and who knows, I could've been way off in my pickup selection for the sound I want. Like an Invader for country or something .

Tags
air norton , bridge pup , guitar tech , guthrie govan , neck pickup , neck position , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pickup selection , rosewood board , seymour duncan , seymour duncan jazz , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode