Pickup recommendations for daughters RG - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Pickup recommendations for daughters RG

Hi, I'm new to the whole changing of pickups for sound concept, but wanting to make a change. I am doing this for my daughter who has an RG2EX1 as her second guitar that she just doesn't use much anymore, but she really does like it and doesn't want to get rid of it. Her main guitar is a PRS Tremonti that she uses for metal, hard rock, classic/southern rock, and punk or pop rock stuff. She uses her Ibby for drop d tuning mostly now. The RG2 is basswood with rosewood fretboard and has a simple H-H setup with a 5 way switch and one vol and one tone. She plays through a Crate Blue Voodoo tube amp into an Avatar 2x12 cab with one Eminence Wizard and one Eminence Governor.
So I am thinking about a Crunch Lab/Liquifire combination, a Tone Zone/Air Norton combination, or maybe even a Mo' Joe/ PAF Joe for her Ibby. Like I said, this will be mostly for drop d tunings or mostly heavy stuff, not really too much clean.
I have read a tone of reviews and suggestions on here so far and this is kinda how I came up with these combinations. I would like some opinions from you guys about these setups in this guitar. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Pickup recommendations for daughters RG

don't get tone zone for drop tunnings, it's way to fat. I love CL/LF combo, it's my favorite. Tight, articulate, yet powerful and crunchy You can read my reviews on www.diy-fever.com
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM

You might also consider a Super 3 for the bridge and Paf Pro for the neck
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 PM

I would go with the CrunchLab bridge and Liquifire neck as well but you might check out the D-Activators as well for drop tunings or the new Dominion
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
don't get tone zone for drop tunnings, it's way to fat. I love CL/LF combo, it's my favorite.
Good point, I didn't even think about that. That's definitely good to know. I have been leaning towards the CL/LF combo and everybody so far seems to back that up. Thanks to you all for your inputs so far.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
I would go with the CrunchLab bridge and Liquifire neck as well but you might check out the D-Activators as well for drop tunings or the new Dominion

Thanks corpraider. I have not seen much about the Dominions yet. I guess because it is so new. I'll look into those as well.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Whoa, a daughter that plays Ibanez and metal AND lives in Georgia? Sir I'm going to have to ask you for her hand in marriage. Jking

ON a more topic related note, are you Sold on the Dimarzio route? Don't limit yourself to just DiMarzios give Seymore Duncan or EMG (if you're okay with active pups) a chance.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 120

Definitely try the Dominions. Ill hopefully have my review done sOme time this week. Perfect for basswood RGs.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImitationSHREDder View Post
Whoa, a daughter that plays Ibanez and metal AND lives in Georgia? Sir I'm going to have to ask you for her hand in marriage. Jking

ON a more topic related note, are you Sold on the Dimarzio route? Don't limit yourself to just DiMarzios give Seymore Duncan or EMG (if you're okay with active pups) a chance.
Sorry, I'm just looking for an improved sound from a low cost guitar for my daughter, not a husband for her a this point. Once she is old enough to vote, maybe we can talk. As for other brands, EMG actives are out as she already traded an RGA72 for the PRS because she didn't like the active EMG's. We haven't really considered Duncans, I don't know why.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
I second this. I put this combo in my prestige and have been loving it. The Super 3 stays very articulate in drop tunings. I went as low as drop A and it still sounded good to me.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
That's it, close this thread now!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Really? Super 3/Paf Pro combo over the CL/LF combo? I haven't read or heard hardly anything about the Super 3. I guess I got some more homework to do.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 AM

Now, I haven't tried the CL/FL combo, so which is better, I can't comment on. All I'll say is there's a reason the Super 3 has been around for 18 years and the PAF Pro for 26 years.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
Now, I haven't tried the CL/FL combo, so which is better, I can't comment on. All I'll say is there's a reason the Super 3 has been around for 18 years and the PAF Pro for 26 years.
I would say that from reading thedawk's description of his daughters style of playing the Super 3/Paf Pro would pull it off nicely. Sounds like her daddy raised her to like good music. And she is fortunate to have a dad so supportive.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 11

Your daughter seems cool as hell!

And I recommend the CL/LF as well. They can do pretty much any tone and have tons of clarity. No matter what color her RG2EX is, I recommend getting them in white with black poles and rail. It just works with EVERY guitar!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode