Pickup resistance vs. output?? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Pickup resistance vs. output??

Just wondering if a higher/lower R value equals louder/hot pickup or is it the other way around?

I know that typically a neck pickup has a lower R value compared to a bridge and is often times louder.

Reason I ask is I have a 3 pickup Epiphone SG Custom and want to put a p90 in the center position. Should I get a neck pickup or bridge. It is likely a neck pickup in there now but what difference would it make???

What happens when a neck pickup is swapped with the bridge, same question I guess?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Pickup resistance vs. output??

Resistance has nothing to do with output really, it's compression. There are a number of high output pickups with low resistance, as well as low output pickups with high resistance. Output is a combination of magnet type and wire gauge. Resistance has to do with the amount of winds of wire.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Resistance has nothing to do with output really, it's compression. There are a number of high output pickups with low resistance, as well as low output pickups with high resistance. Output is a combination of magnet type and wire gauge. Resistance has to do with the amount of winds of wire.
that is spot on. They only thing i might add is that typically if the DC resistance is super high (20 plus) the pickup will usually be a bit darker sounding because some of the high end is lost because of the high resistance. The same doesn't always apply to a lower resistance pickup but most pickups with 8 or less kohms resistance are a little brighter because they dont lose much high end due to the lower resistance.

again it really depends on how the pickup is made/wound and what type and size magnet is used.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
DC resistance also depends on the wiring gauge, but not the magnetic field of the magnet. The bigger is the cross section, the lower is the resistance (for a same number of turns)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

So there is lots of variance then holy! What I am looking for is a P90 that would sound closer to the sound of a bridge P90 but in the center position. I would like to "almost" emulate the sound I would have coming from the bridge of a Les Paul Junior with a P90 in the bridge.

I am not sure what to look for. I am more of an Ibanez guy for sure and I realize I could post in a Gibson forum but I like to do all of my guitar talk here, I value the feedback that I get. It is always a helpful site!

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 6

I'm of no help here, I don't know anything about P90s...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode