Pickup similar to F2 but more metal? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM

Re: Pickup similar to F2 but more metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The F2 is fine for all of those styles. But if you insist a jack of all trades pup, get the AT-1. It's specifically designed for the bridge but it has low treble and is very balanced. Andy timmons did a cover album of Sgt Pepper with this pup, and he has his own solo stuff as well with it, that should be enough to see how good that pup is. The harmonics are amazing as well, they pop just as easily as the Evo with less output.

Listen to some of Andy's recent live videos on youtube and get an idea of his sound. The pup is REALLY good.
Big fan of that pickup myself, but while it slays for lead guitar, it's not really a particularly exceptional rhythm pickup. The low end isn't all that defined. Remember that Timmons is a guy almost universally revered for his soaring, thick lead guitar sound, but isn't a name that gets dropped a lot for tight metal rhythm tone.

It's still one of my favorite pickups, but it's probably not the one for the OP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Big fan of that pickup myself, but while it slays for lead guitar, it's not really a particularly exceptional rhythm pickup. The low end isn't all that defined. Remember that Timmons is a guy almost universally revered for his soaring, thick lead guitar sound, but isn't a name that gets dropped a lot for tight metal rhythm tone.

It's still one of my favorite pickups, but it's probably not the one for the OP.
He mentioned he wanted to do rock/hard rock as well, and that's where the AT-1 excels. I actually like rhythm tone on the AT-1 more than the F2. Also, if you listen carefully to a lot of Andy's solos, he mostly uses the cruiser in the neck for his blazing solos and the AT-1 for rhythm and bridge into the solos. This is why I recommended it.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM

I had a thought as I've been playing with this recently. If you like like what you have but just want a little different tone you can do a magnet swap if your comfortable with doing that sort of thing. It's really easy and only takes a screwdriver and about 10 minutes of your time. And magnets are really cheap, only a few dollars.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
I had a thought as I've been playing with this recently. If you like like what you have but just want a little different tone you can do a magnet swap if your comfortable with doing that sort of thing. It's really easy and only takes a screwdriver and about 10 minutes of your time. And magnets are really cheap, only a few dollars.
I wanna try the V7/V8 magnet change personally. I just dont know where to find magnets for pickups here
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The F2 is fine for all of those styles. But if you insist a jack of all trades pup, get the AT-1. It's specifically designed for the bridge but it has low treble and is very balanced. Andy timmons did a cover album of Sgt Pepper with this pup, and he has his own solo stuff as well with it, that should be enough to see how good that pup is. The harmonics are amazing as well, they pop just as easily as the Evo with less output.

Listen to some of Andy's recent live videos on youtube and get an idea of his sound. The pup is REALLY good.
After listening to a few videos, I like the lead sound but I'm not really digging the rhythm sound. I'm not sure if it's just the amp or the pickups too.

Quote:
I've been looking at all these threads about swapping magnets and it's definitely an interesting thing to try. I still have the original V7/8 set from the 550 so I could mess around with that. But will it get me the tone I'm looking for?

I've been looking at the Super Distortion and I like it but that seems to be straight up old school. Is there a more modern equivalent?
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm946 View Post
I've been looking at all these threads about swapping magnets and it's definitely an interesting thing to try. I still have the original V7/8 set from the 550 so I could mess around with that. But will it get me the tone I'm looking for?

I've been looking at the Super Distortion and I like it but that seems to be straight up old school. Is there a more modern equivalent?
You probably won't get the sound your looking for out of the V7/V8 set but if they're just laying around collecting dust I say try a magnet swap. I couldn't hurt & it's a fun little project.

As for the super distortion, it's a great pickup but your right, those have been around for as far back as I can remember. The Super 2 was their "updated" version of the Super D but that one probably won't have the bass response you're looking for.

Have you checked out any of Seymour Duncan's line? I don't use them much anymore since I started using DiMarzio's a while ago. The may have something that's to your liking.

This may help, Back in the day (mid to late 90's) the Petrucci signature Ibanez's had a Steve's Special in the bridge & Air Norton in the neck.

Last edited by madasahatter; 08-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
This may help, Back in the day (mid to late 90's) the Petrucci signature Ibanez's had a Steve's Special in the bridge & Air Norton in the neck.
Steve's Special seems like a good option. My only concern is that with its scooped mids, it won't work well for classic rock and lower gain tones.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm946 View Post
Steve's Special seems like a good option. My only concern is that with its scooped mids, it won't work well for classic rock and lower gain tones.
That is exactly the problem with the Steve Special. It's something of a "one trick pony". What it does it does well......the rest is out of it's abilities. The two pickups I would suggest the most would be a Mega Drive (DP107) or a Super3 (DP152). The Mega Drive will be your best choice. It's the perfect marriage between the SS and the TZ. It's EQ'ed to be less scooped than the SS at 6.0- treble/5.0-mid/7.0-bass. Mine measures out at 13.73 Kohm's and 380mV. It's bright, punchy, and tight without an overly harsh high-mid.

I suggest the Super3 simply because it's a very good "all around" pup. It does everything very well, but doesn't have any one feature that stands out.......... probably why we don't talk about it much. I have one in my swirled 760.

I would also second the notion of changing the magnet in your F2 from the Ceramic that's in it to maybe an A8 that is still quite hot, but a bit warmer. Changing magnets doesn't dramatically change the sound of a pickup..... it merely tweaks it a bit and can add or subtract some output. I've had a LOT of F2's and, while all were very good, each one sounded different from the rest in little ways.

Tags
dimarzio , ibzusa , ibzusa f2 , metal , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode