Pickup similar to F2 but more metal? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Pickup similar to F2 but more metal?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to replace the EVO pickup set in my '87 RG550. I don't dislike them, I just don't play much Vai stuff these days so I could use something else tone-wise right now. I'm just looking to swap out the bridge pickup at the moment. I LOVE the IBZUSA F2 in my UCRG1, it gets amazing classic+hard rock/Joe Satriani tone. What's a pickup that's similar to the F2 but is better suited for metal (more lows, less mids) but still gets great pinch harmonics and such? I'm looking for something John Petrucci-esque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 AM

Re: Pickup similar to F2 but more metal?

If you are looking for petrucci sound, there's nothing gonna closer than petrucci own pickups?
illluminator, crunch lab, steve'special... you name it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
If you are looking for petrucci sound, there's nothing gonna closer than petrucci own pickups?
illluminator, crunch lab, steve'special... you name it.
+100000

If you like Petrucci, get his pickups. Also, the F2 can do metal, you just need to adjust your amp and pedal settings to get the sound you want out of em.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 AM

Reviews: 120

The F2 is a great metal pickup.

In saying that, a similar pickup with more low-end is the Tone Zone.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 AM

More lows and less mids, why not go for the original Petrucci pickup the Steve's Special. Scooped mids on that one.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM

The Illuminator bridge destroys the cl. Get thatvfor sure in the bridge.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The F2 is a great metal pickup.

In saying that, a similar pickup with more low-end is the Tone Zone.
Really???
I experience the F2 to have more low end and mids and less top than a ToneZone.
The F2 is my number one pickup for metal, and everything else actually.
Playing Mesa Boogie mark amps the F2 is just perfect.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777 View Post
Really???
I experience the F2 to have more low end and mids and less top than a ToneZone.
The F2 is my number one pickup for metal, and everything else actually.
Playing Mesa Boogie mark amps the F2 is just perfect.
You know, only recently I started to take time to dial in my tone on my amp and while I didn't like the F2 before (thought it sounded way too trebly), After doing some minor tweaking with the EQ on my amp, it dials in an amazing tone. My amp sucks probably but still, I found a tone I like a lot with the F2.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I should probably explain a bit more about my rig. I'm using a Peavey Bandit 112 with a couple distortion/OD stompboxes and a wah, as well as a Digitech RP500 in the effects loop for EQ, effects, delay, and reverb.

Do Petrucci's pickups sound anything like the F2? And how well do they work with other music like classic rock?

Last edited by kfm946; 08-19-2014 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM

To be honest, if you want to get the sound of Petrucci, your peavey has to go. Get yourself a Mesa Boogie amp. Going the pickup route and keeping the Peavey will never get you there. The F2 is closer to CrunchLab than D-sonic and steve's special. But not very similar.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777 View Post
To be honest, if you want to get the sound of Petrucci, your peavey has to go. Get yourself a Mesa Boogie amp. Going the pickup route and keeping the Peavey will never get you there. The F2 is closer to CrunchLab than D-sonic and steve's special. But not very similar.
I figured that was the case. But as a college student, I don't have that kind of money to drop on a Mesa. I'm just looking for something that can play metal well (the EVO is way too trebly), and most of the metal I'll be playing is Petrucci or similar. When I'm in my dorm I'll only have my RP500, which has mark IV and IIc+ models on it, so that sooooorta remedies the peavey problem for some of the time.

What's closer to the F2: illuminator or crunch lab?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:06 PM

I would sell that all and buy a used afx standard for $800.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM

What I usually suggest to people wanting to emulate a certian artist's sound is don't do it & find your own tone. You have to remember that the pros have a mass of gear that shape their tone besides the amp & pickups that us weekend warriors will never be able to afford. You can use an artist's sound as a very general starting point but my advice is to listen to sound clips test out what you can and let your ears dictate what you want not someone else's tone. For the sound your looking for the Steve's special may be a good starting point. It's eq-ed with more bass & treble and scooped mids. The other route to go would be as suggested earlier, use your guitar with the F2 and/or even the evo set and play with your amps eq settings. You may find the tone you want is already there you just need to dial it in.

If you want a good in-depth talk about getting the best tone out of your amp, there's a dude on youtube scott grove that that gives a really good detailed explination of everything. The vid is about an hour & a half long but really worth the watch. He can come off as kind of a jerk but but he's usually pretty informative when he's not going off on a rant.

Last edited by madasahatter; 08-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
What I usually suggest to people wanting to emulate a certian artist's sound is don't do it & find your own tone. You have to remember that the pros have a mass of gear that shape their tone besides the amp & pickups that us weekend warriors will never be able to afford. You can use an artist's sound as a very general starting point but my advice is to listen to sound clips test out what you can and let your ears dictate what you want not someone else's tone.
This is kinda what I was starting to say in my last post. I'm not looking to sound exactly like Petrucci, I'm looking for something that's better suited for metal than the Evo and sounds similar to the F2. Given that most of the metal I play is dream theater or LTE or something similar, I want a pickup that will sound good when playing that kind of music, but will also work okay with the other music I play (classic/hard rock).
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm946 View Post
This is kinda what I was starting to say in my last post. I'm not looking to sound exactly like Petrucci, I'm looking for something that's better suited for metal than the Evo and sounds similar to the F2. Given that most of the metal I play is dream theater or LTE or something similar, I want a pickup that will sound good when playing that kind of music, but will also work okay with the other music I play (classic/hard rock).
The F2 is fine for all of those styles. But if you insist a jack of all trades pup, get the AT-1. It's specifically designed for the bridge but it has low treble and is very balanced. Andy timmons did a cover album of Sgt Pepper with this pup, and he has his own solo stuff as well with it, that should be enough to see how good that pup is. The harmonics are amazing as well, they pop just as easily as the Evo with less output.

Listen to some of Andy's recent live videos on youtube and get an idea of his sound. The pup is REALLY good.

Tags
dimarzio , ibzusa , ibzusa f2 , metal , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode