Pickup suddenly microphonic? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Pickup suddenly microphonic?

I sold a Screamin' Demon to someone last week. It was working perfectly and in as new condition when I sent it. The buyer got it on Monday and said it was all good on Monday, and the yesterday they then said that it was microphonic.

Now as far as I'm concerned it would have had to be overheated and mess up the wax potting for it to go microphonic. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm a bit miffed because I think that maybe that the buyer decided they didn't like the sound and they are trying to return it to get their money back. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could legitamately cause this to happen? Pickups are really simple contraptions and they don't exactly just break by them selves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Pickup suddenly microphonic?

Except for damage, it's impossible............... your right about the guy, See if he'll provide a youtube clip with the pup acting up or ask him to send it back to you for evaluation.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

He's sent me a sound file. He's a tech at a music shop, so I don't think he's stuffed it. Said he's used Screamin' Demons before. I have a feeling that it must have been overheated or something.

I'm just going to contact the postal service since I paid for extra cover and get a claim sorted. I'll have him send the pickup back home too.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 12

Yeah music store "Tech" what did he heat up the poles with the soldering iron itself , just start a claim, even though it's his fault and hopefully you can repot it...

I had a similar incident with a pedal some idiot fried the power input by using the wrong 9volt dc supply funny he wouldn't answer if he used the battery first but the smell of burning and evidence was overwhelming was a simple fix all it needed was a resistor sold it after I fixed it again for the same price...

Hope you don't get done over...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 2

FWIW... if it needs to be re-potted just send it to me, I have everything here to do it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
FWIW... if it needs to be re-potted just send it to me, I have everything here to do it.
Thanks mate, I'll see how the claim goes. What sucks is that to make a claim you typically need to have the parcel the package was sent in. The buyer threw it out before they had it installed and everything. Hopefully the claim goes ok with just evidence of purchase of the parcel.

Tags
damage , microphonic , pickup , sudden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode