pickup suggestions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

pickup suggestions

Whats up everybody, im looking to put a new set of PUs in my rg570 that will compliment the music of the band that im currently in. The tone i am looking for is like that of wes borland on the earlier limp bizkit albums, i need a pickup that is thick sounding and has lots of harmonics. ive been looking at 4 different humbuckers to so fa, a D-Sonic, Tone Zone, Steve Special, and a duncan distortion, out of those what would you recemond to get that tone, or do you have any other ideas? From what ive read, im starting to lean towards the tone zone, but i really do not know yet, and my computer is fallen apart on me so i cant look to much more into the topic. for my neck pick up, im looking for a bluesy sounding PU, warm sounding. i dont know to much about single coil pickups so if you can recemend me something there to i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: pickup suggestions

And for the record, i use a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 PM

1) Breeds
2) Tone Zone + Air Norton

in both for the mid throw a reverse Blue velvet
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

so that would work for( i guess they used to call it) a Nu-metal tone? what is the real difference between the breed and the tone zone? i know i read on harmony central that breeds have more of a crunch whereas the tonezone is more of a chunk. but are either of these pickups shrill or have alot of high end. like i said, i want a thick tone with more low than not. i just dont wwant my tone to be "Tin'y"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:18 PM

i am going to say the d-sonic and paf pro paired , or d-sonic and air norton . I think breeds would be overly smooth even though the dual can get grity in the mids .

Personally i'd want something with a lot of output to help overdrive and smooth out the front end of a dual and so i'd have to say i'd go with dual emg 85s or 81/60 or something like that .

on paper at least the steve's special is the way to go, it already has scooped mids and boosted bass and treble and is natrually smooth however if found it lacking because it didn't have the extra uuhmfffffff to get the power out of the amp i wanted . the d-sonic is the right mix of the tone zone/norton and steve's special just depends on which direction you face the bar .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

if i decide to go w/ the d-sonic, what direction should i face the bar? and how dramaticaly does it change the tone if it is the other way?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

also, most of the song in my band are played in standard tuning w/ drop D, this may be a dumb question, but will my tone be to bright with a d sonic in that tuning? and out of the breed and the d-sonic which has more of a high end? thanks again for your help.

Tags
air norton , boogie dual rectifier , coil pickup , dual rectifier , duncan distortion , limp bizkit , limp bizkit album , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , paf pro , scooped mids , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode