pickup suggestions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

pickup suggestions

I need the 'right' pickup for my 7 string ibanez (RG7620 to be exact). Basswood Body, Rosewood fingerboard. My amp is a Marshall JCM2000 DSL201. I was wondering which pickup could get me close to Dream Theater like crunch, something that will clarify the open chords through a distorted channel. As for the neck pickup what could be the best possible match for it? I emailed dimarzio earlier, they recommended me dactivator 7 and air norton 7, i wonder what 7-stringers here have to say about this...

so far from my research.. i came up with these lists:
dactivator7
evo7
dsonic7
blaze

and for neck..
air norton7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: pickup suggestions

the d-sonic clip i sent ya wasn't convincing enough? :P
I have an evo7 on my GR... i recently moved it from the bridge to the neck... and it's a no-remorse pickup in that position. On the bridge, sounds great and cuts through any mix, crunchy and enough thump.
Had the Blaze in the neck and that sounded way too bassy... I moved that to the bridge while I'm waiting for a D-Activator7 to replace it. I remember why I didn't like the Blaze; it sounds like you have to pick harder to get that "evo7" attack. However, it is that pickup that has defined the tones for DT's heavy songs... "Lie" for example.
I have yet to try an AN7 but would like to get that as a neck p/u for another 7-string. I'll let ya know how the D-Activator7 compares to an Evo7. I'm also going to buy a D-Sonic7 as a present for a friend's UV777BK... i'll ya know how that sounds like in a few weeks.

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 12-17-2007 at 08:05 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 PM

I replaced the bridge Blaze, that came stock, in my 7620 with a D Activator 7 and I love it. Perfectly clear on each string on not overly boomy on the low string,(I tune the low B to A). Just enough boost too.

I like the dark tonality of the Blaze neck pickup but if you're looking for something with a bit more clarity I can understand switching out to the Air Norton. Hard to go wrong with that one.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

@Judas, its not that i didnt like the DS7. i got those pups list from many different forums. so im still goin round for opinions. emailed dimarzio and they rec'd me the da7.

@Analog: thanks for the comment
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 AM

I'd throw in a PAF7 for the neck spot, and try a D-Sonic 7 in the bridge. The Air Norton is great, but IMO, the PAF is clearer.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 AM

Hm. I was just thinking about a D Activator 7 neck. Does it happen to sound anything close to Muhammad's Necrophagist sound by chance?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 AM

I have an idea, Lets make a sticky info thread for each pickup on the market and people don't have to say the same thing over and over and over.

I wonder how much space would be saved on the server if all the pickup threads were deleted.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

hmmmm... we could have a pickup subforum with no ability to post new threads (only replies) with one thread per pickup there. but then how does that solve this inquiry (if it needs solving that is)? ...glen

Tags
air norton , basswood body , blaze neck , neck pickup , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode