Pickup Swap for my JEM - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Pickup Swap for my JEM

Hey all

Here's the deal. I have an '89 77FP and a '00 7VWH. As things stand my flower pattern is superior in sound. My 7VWH is superior in playability. If I only had my 7VWH I would say it sounds quite nice with the EVOs in there. Then I plug in my FP and I'm blown away by how amazing it sounds. If I was looking for that Vai sound the EVOs would be great. Problem is, that's not my sound. What I like is a crushingly organic sound. I am not a shredder. I play with a couple Swart amps (think Fender tweed). I am a predominately rhythm player. I want my chords to chime. I love to play older stuff such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC??DC, Judas Priest. For newer stuff (although not really all that new) think Radiohead. Like I mentioned earlier, I am in love with the sound of the PAF Pros in my flower pattern. Those pickups kill it. I would just put in PAF Pros but do I want both my JEMs to sound so similar. Will the differences in my JEMs change it up? Do the newer PAFs sound as good as older ones? It's my experience that the new Dimarzio Super Distortions don't sound as good as the older ones.

Other pickups I am considering

Breeds

Gravity Storms

Lollar Imperials (high wound) - I had these in a Les Paul I owned and they were beautiful. I am concerned about their mix with the middle pickup of the JEM which I most likely won't change. That and they are quite expensive.

My JEM (questions asked on the sticky)
Body wood - alder with basswood veneers
Neck wood - maple
Fretboard - ebony
24 frets
Edge LoPro

Amps (I like playing with a lot of reverb)
Swart Space Tone Atomic Jr
Swart Atomic Space Tone

Pedals (I usually play without pedals but I still use my pedals occasionally)
Neunaber Slate/EXP (reverb, shimmer, chorus, delay)
Damage Control Timeline (currently at Strymon being repaired)
Damage Control Liquid Blues
Damage Control Solid Metal
Swart Atomic Boost
Keeley Time Machine Boost
Keeley KO/ALS (Stahlhammer)
Keeley Luna Overdrive
Keeley Son of Fuzz Head

So am I in the right direction with my pickup choices? Are there other pickups I should consider?

Thanks! I look forward to your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM

Re: Pickup Swap for my JEM

go with the gravity storm set...... a bit more versatile and dynamic than the breed
sound just as good clean as they do driven
I have them in an alder jem copy (I built) and it is my #1 ax right now and has been for about a year
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
go with the gravity storm set...... a bit more versatile and dynamic than the breed
I have them in an alder jem copy (I built) and it is my #1 ax right now and has been for about a year
that being said I just ordered an overwound set of these to try
http://irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_011.htm

after watching this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhO...ature=youtu.be

check out the other sound bites
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am (and have been) leaning in that direction. I'm going off reviews and I hear great things about both the Breeds and Gravity Storms. I also know someone who played around with an Indonesian JEM and he's blown away by them. He thinks they blow away EVOs. Still that's just what's best for someone else. I believe him though. The EVOs sound good, until I hear them against my PAF Pros.

I'm so tempted to track down an old set of the PAF Pros and put them in. If I do that unfortunately I'd probably never pick up my flower pattern.

I wish I could find some Youtube clips of these pickups that weren't demonstrated with so much gain.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
that being said I just ordered an overwound set of these to try
http://irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_011.htm

after watching this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhO...ature=youtu.be

check out the other sound bites
Wow! They sound amazing! If I ever bother with another Les Paul those pups are high on the list.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:17 PM

thought i would update you...
the Iron Gear pickups sound great... after some challenges with being stoned and actually soldering them in backwards (yeah go ahead and laugh... it happens) and wanting to tame the brightness in the bridge a little (by lowering the pickup) keep in mind i ordered the over wound set. the neck very nice... similar to the paf pro with less output the bridge nice tight bottom end and crystal clear i am impressed ....
as a sound test I ran them through all of the basic presets on my pod hd sounded great on everything from a tweed to an engl fireball

too bad they don't have different colors in bobbins oh well
enjoy your pickups either way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode