Pickup swap video how to? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Pickup swap video how to?

Is there a video for a how to switch pickups in a guitar. I read many websites and thread on how to do it but I'm more visual, a video would be very helpful.

I want to do a simple dimarzio swap with new dimarzio, two humbuckers only.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Re: Pickup swap video how to?

have you checked you tube?
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

get the wiring diagram of your guitaron the official website. get a soldering iron, a solder pump can help.

get the wiring colour codes of your pickups as it can help (but as your are replacing DM by DM you shouldnt ahve problems as colors should be the same...)

remember that your pickup must be soldered to the ground! (meaning at least one wire of the pickup must be wired to the ground. it is not random... there is one specific wire on your pickup to do that)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I checked youtube, cant find anything helpfull, in the ones you posted, the first one is not in english so I might be missing something, and the second one if way too fast to see anything
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 AM

not very difficult to do: make a diagram of the current wiring of your guitar on a piece of paper (or ideally you would have downloaded the wiring from the official website)

then proceed one by one.

un screw both pickups so you get access to the wires more easily.
start with the neck pickup (IMO it is easier to do neck then bridge than the opposite)

identify the wires used by the pickup. unsolder them. remove the neck pickup.

take the new pickup install it in the guitar: solder the wires of the pickup exactly in the same way the previous pickup was setup in your guitar.

normally the color code should be the same in between the old and new pickup as they are both from DiMarzio...

once you have soldered these wires, screw the pickup in and proceed with the bridge pickup... same thing...

check this link out:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...olor_codes.pdf

you will find the color codes for a series of brands.
with DM you have to solder the green to the ground.

i did it yesterday. i am still alive...
important: (and i hate to repeat myself)

GET THE WIRING DIAGRAM FROM THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Tags
bridge pickup , neck pickup , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode