Pickup swap w/buzz is NOT pickup swapping drunk - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By peromucho7
  • 1 Post By FireEagle
  • 2 Post By AttillaDeHunt
  • 1 Post By AttillaDeHunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Pickup swap w/buzz is NOT pickup swapping drunk

Looking for possible reasons for the buzz after a pickup swap, can you help?
So my buddy is unhappy with the sound that his bridge pickup puts out, and I offer to do the swap-out mod.
He shows up with a 2003 Korean Schecter contour-top with a Duncan Designed H-H config, with 1 Pull/Push pot, 1 reg pot, and a 3-way toggle.
I suggest a hotter Ibanez INF4 for the swap.
Wires look the same on both and I see that there are 3 joints to de-solder/re-solder- a single to one side of the 3-way, a twisted pair and a ground to the Push/Pull pot.
I swap all 3 from the D.D. and replace with the same 3 from the INF4, then check to see that it is right before closing it up. Seems good so far, I close it up, tune it, plug it in.
Toggle up & Pull the pot- Neck pickup still sounds the same as it did- check!
Push the pot- ditto- check!
Toggle to middle, pull, push, both pickups working, bit of extra buzz/60cycle hum present. -check!
Toggle down, pull, push, INF4 pickup working, noticeable extra buzz/60cycle hum present. -check!
Remove rear cover and note all connections made, but when I touch the metal on the 3-way at the INF4 side of the 3-way, the buzz ceases.
Loaned him one of my RG's for the time being and told him to check back w/me tomorrow.
Cold solder joint on the 3-way switch?
I will try de/re soldering the small single wire on the 3-way in just a few minutes from now, maybe that will fix it.
If it doesn't, ANY IDEAS on what it could be?
On a side note, could there be an "imbalance" between these pickups that should cause any poor operation or merit re-selection of a different bridge pickup altogether??
Thanx in advance for any pointers and info.

Last edited by AttillaDeHunt; 03-29-2020 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added temporary guitar solution of a loaner axe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Re: Pickup swap w/buzz is NOT pickup swapping drunk

OK, so I see you looking but nobody is sayin' anything.
That's ok, I think I fixed it.
At least the pickup-swap and install part of it that I did, anyway.
I never did hear the guitar played with the pot "pulled", and in fact, until we had already de-strung & disassembled the front and then opened the rear cavity and saw it,
I hadn't yet realized that it even was a push/pull. He actually seemed surprised at this point as well and has no reference to how it sounded before either.
Any way...
With the push/pull pot "pushed" the INF4 and the original neck pickup both have no hum present regardless of where the 3-way is.
Nice and quiet.
However, when "pulled" up, there is some noise in both the 1(N) and 3(B) position, but not the 2(middle) on the toggle.
I have triple checked diagrams, and gone to many pages and sites dealing with this issue, and have found no likely reason so far for this.
So now I do need some input as to the possible reason for the extra hum.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Would anyone care to opine at this point?
Thanx for any help.

BTW--Some of the links near the beginning of the "Pickups & Wiring" resources thread by Alaskabat are broken and empty, in case someone is keeping track of that stuff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:22 AM

....….With the push/pull pot "pushed" the INF4 and the original neck pickup both have no hum present regardless of where the 3-way is.
Nice and quiet.
However, when "pulled" up, there is some noise in both the 1(N) and 3(B) position, but not the 2(middle) on the toggle. ………….

It is suppose to work like that.
When you pull switch, humbuckers are in single coil mode, and you hear some single coil noise.
AttillaDeHunt likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:41 AM

I agree... You should hear a little more noise with the coil tap in. Also, the wire colors may be the same, but might not be the same wires. Lots of manufacturers use the same colors, but are wired differently.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...or-translation

Are they 3-wire or 4-wire pickups? I thought Duncan Designed were 4 wire and the INF's were 3 wire... but its been along time since I messed with an INF pickup.
AttillaDeHunt likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: Pickup swap w/buzz is NOT pickup swapping drunk

Right on guys, I appreciate the response.
I did have the wires(red and black) reversed on the INF4 at first, but after a w-a-y longer than it should have taken multi-site search, I caught on to my error.
And my INF4 has the ground with shielding plus another within, a white, a black, and a red, so for those who say they only have 3 wires, you really gotta go check out Ibanez's PARTS search.
You will find all these combos and a good mix of them-- with and without logo, black and white, and 2 & 4 lead INF's, plus ground, of course.
I found myself marvelling at the sheer number of axes that have had INF's installed over the years!
If you don't already know, you might wanna go!
I did find a great pickup mod for my V7 & V8 loaded guitars while I was looking for my solution, so BONUS!!
(It is a magnet swap from one to the other!)
But I digress.
I guess I should thank those who knew, but didn't say anything at first, because that MADE ME find my answer.
And Thanx again, FireEagle and peromucho7, for your input when I needed the confirmation, I applaud the accuracy of the posts!!
Now I just gotta get my RG back and deliver the Schecter and it is all great!!
Peace!
peromucho7 and FireEagle like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: Pickup swap w/buzz is NOT pickup swapping drunk

Final-ish update-- Have been playing this Schecter periodically throughout the day and am pleased with this conversion to the point of knowing that this swap will be just what my bud wanted it to be! This axe now has BALLS to compliment the tone that it already had established. The muddy and unclear voicing is no more, and now the Bridge setting is powerful and that was the object of the operation. I think I will be sad to see this one go home. I can't help noticing how much this axe reminds me of my SZ models, and now it kinda sounds like one of them, too, a bit. Peace!
FireEagle likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttillaDeHunt View Post
Final-ish update-- Have been playing this Schecter periodically throughout the day and am pleased with this conversion to the point of knowing that this swap will be just what my bud wanted it to be! This axe now has BALLS to compliment the tone that it already had established. The muddy and unclear voicing is no more, and now the Bridge setting is powerful and that was the object of the operation. I think I will be sad to see this one go home. I can't help noticing how much this axe reminds me of my SZ models, and now it kinda sounds like one of them, too, a bit. Peace!

Always good when an upgrade gets you what you wanted. Love the SZ models too, crazy underrated guitars, but never have played a Schecter. Good luck, hope your buddy likes the new gutsy tone!

Tags
60 cycle , buzz , hum , pickup swap , right but wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode