Pickups advice on 1570 - Need help!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Pickups advice on 1570 - Need help!!

i am ordering new pickups for my rg1570 (basswood) i play through a boss gt8 and mainly randall or marshall combo amps (in the university music room), i wanted to change the stock pickups to:
evolution (bridge)
hs-3 (middle) (or Fast Track 2)
x2n (neck)
i am little affraid of the x2n in the neck, i am not sure if i can put an x2n in the neck without having any trouble in playing plus i heard that it doesn't have any clean sounds..
i was confused between the evo and x2n in the bridge, mayb too confused so i decided to keep the evo in the bridge and put the x2n in the neck and have the hs-3 for versatility..
can anyone help me with my decision? i mainly play metal/speed/shred... but i also like to play some clean acoustic sounds and i like my sound to be fat and warm (for the clean).
i need ur help asap as i am ordering soon the pickups. other suggestions are always welcomed.
Thanks

Last edited by MajzouB; 06-07-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Pickups advice on 1570 - Need help!!

Just don't would be my advice.

The X2N doesn't belong in the neck with an Evo in the bridge. It is roughly 25% more powerful than the Evo bridge and will make it difficult for you to get balanced tones from your guitar.

Head over to teh diMarzio website and read up on some medium power pickups for the neck position, I would recommend the PAF Pro as a neck pickup, but the Air Norton is another popular choice.

the other combination for neck and bridge you might want to consider is the new D-Activator or D-Activator X series.

You might also want to look at slightly higher output middle pickup as the HS causes a real drop in volume when switching from a powerful bridge pickup onto the middle selection. I like it for exactly that reason but many folks prefer a slightly more powerful pickup in the middle.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 PM

You'll hear this from me a lot.... Go with a Bill Lawrence 500 XL/R combo for the bridge/neck. They will give 1000 times more versatility and better sound than any DiMarzio. The XL is the best shredding pup you'll ever come across. Heck, dimarzio reverse engineered it to make they're own version (DimeBucker). Name any other pup that's been reverse engineered. There's a reason they did it. Its the best. The neck pup will give you great cleans and great distortion. For the middle pickup, get one of their L-45s. Lookup Wilde Pickups and do some research on them. You'll be pleasantly surprised. My .02
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeizeTheDave View Post
You'll hear this from me a lot.... Go with a Bill Lawrence 500 XL/R combo for the bridge/neck. They will give 1000 times more versatility and better sound than any DiMarzio.
It’ll give you a different sound, but it’s no better, and certainly not 1000 times more versatile. The Bill Lawrence sound is immediately identifiable which really limits its versatility. Like the DiMarzio Evo, it only really does one sound, it just does it extremely well.

Quote:
The XL is the best shredding pup you'll ever come across. Heck, dimarzio reverse engineered it to make they're own version (DimeBucker). Name any other pup that's been reverse engineered. There's a reason they did it. Its the best.
It was Seymour Duncan that reverse engineered the Dimebucker from the Lawrence rather than DiMarzio, but that's a minor technicality. I’d wager they did it for commercial reasons. I can’t name any other reverse engineered pickups, so you‘ve got a point there. Or Dimebag just REALLY wanted another endorsement. Afterall Washburn pretty much reverse engineered his signature guitar from the Dean he originally played, so it’s not like his endorsed products are particularly original. Id also read (albeit on the 'net) that Duncan were a little dissappointed that Nuno's N4 had the Lawrence and that he wouldn't let them make him a bridge pickup so the overall design might be something Duncan had in mind for a while?

Last edited by jono; 06-07-2009 at 01:18 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

i heard abt bill lawrence xl/r combo and i may go for it, but anw if i chose to go with dimarzio what best pickup combo will i take
evo or x2n (bridge)
hs-3 or fast track 2 or fast track 1 (middle)
paf pro or air norton or breed neck (neck)
i think those are my main options but since ive never tried any of them i can't choose, so can any one tell me what is the main difference or any recommendations, i checked dimarzio site a hundred time and i saw the tone chart plus the main output of every pickup so my combo could be
evo / ft 1 or 2? / breed neck.... should i go for it? any other suggestions
thanks

Last edited by MajzouB; 06-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

and one more questions, is it necessary f-spaced for the bridge and neck cz if i want the air norton i can't get f-spaced pink..(musicians friend)

Last edited by MajzouB; 06-07-2009 at 02:09 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 AM

Reviews: 4

With a HSH combo I'd go for:
- DiMarzio Evo 2/Seymour Duncan JB (bridge)
- DiMarzio HS-2 (middle)
- DiMarzio PAF Pro or Air Norton/Seymour Duncan '59 or Jazz (neck)

This is ultra balanced and will cover EVERY style you can come up with.
I garantee that you won't be nowhere near disappointed!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Name any other pup that's been reverse engineered.
How about any PAF pickup made by Dimarzio, Duncan and every other manufacturer out there? I might as well toss in all the vintage Strat and Tele pickups too.

Quote:
There's a reason they did it. Its the best.
No, they did it because "its the best". They did it because Dean needed a ton of pickups to stuff in all the Dimebag signature models they dump on the market.

One cannot say say that X pickup is the best without add "for me" because pickup choice is completely subjective.

As Jono suggested, visit the Dimarzio site and read up on the pickups they offer. They have a lot of info on each pickup's output and tone as well as a pickup chooser. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajzouB View Post
and one more questions, is it necessary f-spaced for the bridge and neck cz if i want the air norton i can't get f-spaced pink..(musicians friend)
No, neck pickups do not HAVE TO BE F-spaced. Most people say you can use either or, spaced/non-spaced and not notice too much difference.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

i was searching **** for dimarzio pickups and i found a nice set i might end up

it's mainly an evolution set bridge/middle/neck but the color is something special
(green/purple/green/purple/green) but i will change the middle to yellow

and i also found another one with evo 2 on bridge and pink insted of purple.

now my question is evo or evo 2?

i really searched the whole net for answers but it seems like its 100% matter of taste, i've seen positive and negative review for both pickups, i heard that the evo 2 has less output with more head and dynamics and evo is more trebly and has a shrilly sound but i don't knw why i prefer evo though i never played one..
does anyone tried both pickup on a basswood body and can give me a final advice before i place my order?
thnx all for your help. I really appreciate it.
I will also order a bill lawrence L-500XL and mayb L-500R since its only 50$ and my next combo surely will be TZ with Paf Pro or AN...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode