Pickups for Basswood body? (RG1570) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Pickups for Basswood body? (RG1570)

Hey there forum. I've been thinking about swapping the stock pickups in my RG1570 but since it's my first real guitar, I know close to nothing about pickups.

I was going to get SD Invaders since I play heavy rock/metal mostly, but I read a lot about how bad they sound on Basswood bodies (too muddy due to the natural bassy sound of well, Basswood bodies)

People have recommended me Di Marzio Blazes, Bareknuckles (I dont know what model), or other Seymour Duncans, but not specified which.

So, what combination would be good? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Re: Pickups for Basswood body? (RG1570)

some person would very happy with this kind of thread.

and you might get some wrong information at the first place,
1. basswood doesn't mean wood that produce bass a lot... and I'm so damn sure that basswood is not bassy at all.
2. dimarzio blaze is for 7 stringer, never for 6 stringer.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I think there is a TZ-7 now. I'd go with that!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I think there is a TZ-7 now. I'd go with that!
well dude, his guitar is RG 1570....
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
1. basswood doesn't mean wood that produce bass a lot... and I'm so damn sure that basswood is not bassy at all.
That's right. It's pretty much in the midrange zone and it's very versatile. But some pickups like the Invaders are particulary warm (or so my ears tell) for a bridge pickup. On top of that, if you put it in a bright wood they might work, but on Basswood they might sound too muddy. And you know what they say, it's easier to add bass than to get rid of it.. That was my point.

Someone is recommending me the Dimarzio Crunch Lab or the Liquifier. And the Aftermaths from Bareknuckles. Also the Tone Zone / Air Norton from Di Marzio.

Come on I need as many options as I can :P
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Reviews: 120

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html

Have a read of this first (one of the stickys at the top )

Give us the details asked there and we should be able to give you a few options.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 2

I love the PAF pros in my basswood PGM's. They may be lower output, but they are so harmonically responsive and alive. Very expressive and harmonically rich. I also put a tone zone bridge/air norton neck combo in my basswood RG1420F's, and I'm very pleased with that combo , too. The tone zone is hot and dripping with harmonics, and the air norton has a nice woody tone, almost like a humbucker with a hint of single coil tone, but still great sustain. These pickups totally brought these guitars to life and added a whole new dimension to the tone over the V6F's they came with, at least in my opinion.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok I read that post that you suggested and here I am with the answers:

1. What type of music do you like? I like to play anything from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Zakk Wylde, Metallica, Tool, A7X, Buckethead, etc. But I usually dont mind chilling out with Pearl Jam, for instance.
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? Peavey all valve 100 watt amp.
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood 24 frets fretboard, floyd rose like trem. Tone and volume knobs.
4. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard? Direct mounted.

Let me explain something else. When I'm shredding I dont like my current pickup because it's like too thin. It lacks body. So I usually turn to the neck pickup which is much more warmer but I sacrify sustain there.

So, I thought of getting a bridge pickup that would be a bit warmer (not excesively muddy) but that would also let me have that sustain a bridge pickup has. After some research, the Invader seemed to be perfect because it's a bit on the warm side, but I read a lot of people not satisfied with how muddy it sounded on basswood bodies.. and since I'd be buying them online and it'd be a hasle to return, I'm having a lot of second thoughts on the Invaders, and well, here I am

A lot of people is recommending me the JB, but I thought that was more for rock / heavy rock at most (which I play). But I play metal too and I would hate if it was not hot enough.

I know it's probably impossible to find the perfect pickup for all the styles one plays. I want something that will let me shred, but that also sounds good if I need it to perform with a little overdrive for a Hendrix song :P Possible?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 2

Well, I can get along with quite a few pickups, and have bridge pickups ranging from Breed to Evolution to Tone Zone to PAF pro to Gibson. And I've owned guitars with Duncan distortion, 59, and JB pickups. They were all great pickups, just different. I play an amp with two channels (Soldano SLO100)......and I randomly choose whatever guitar I'm in the mood for to take to a band rehearsal, and I play all of the songs just fine - from Maroon 5 to Motley Crue to Avenged Sevenfold to Aerosmith... I think it comes down to being more about pick control, volume knob control, knowing your amp, and just really being at home adding your own flair and personality to the music you play. If you are really into sounding exactly just like every recording of every song you play, maybe you need to get in some digital simulation type amp, and spend endless hours programming over playing. That's just not me. In the end, I think a lot of the recommended pickups would work just fine for you.........you just need to make it your own. Find your own voice. Even if you are just a cover band guitarist, get your sound, play your parts with conviction and dexterity and passion, and nobody will be complaining. Make it your own~~~

Last edited by lynchfan6; 08-04-2012 at 08:47 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Reviews: 120

DiMarzio Dominion bridge and neck will suit you to a tee then.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 PM

you maybe should try the breed or the tonezone...

The Breed is warm and not muddy, but I'm not so sure about sustain (I changed mine because altougth the pickup was good I felt I needed a little more output and sustain)

The Tonezone could be a good candidate too... powerfull, good harmonics and a thick sound, some people say it's muddy, but with a maple neck I don't think you would have any problems (I have mine in my RG1570 rosewood and it's not muddy at all)

I'll leave you a pair of links of my guitar with every pickup I used

2008 RG1570 basswood body - Evo vs Breed Bridge
Recorded with podxtlive, same amp model, exact same settings

http://www.goear.com/listen/054661b/evo-vs-breed-

RG1570 Breeds (podxt live - SLO100 emulation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE4yu...0&feature=plcp

RG1570 Tonezone (GT10 - SLO100 emulation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twC6n...2&feature=plcp
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Im using 90% bridge humbucker for soloing also.
For me duncan parallel axis trem distortion is the perfect match for my basswood RG.
After that is dimarzio super 3.
However before someone jumped in and tell you that you wont notice the different between basswood,alder,plastic and so on.. Yeah it always happen in thread like this. I'd like to remind you that it's based on my personal opinion and may not be suitable for your taste.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
Im using 90% bridge humbucker for soloing also.
For me duncan parallel axis trem distortion is the perfect match for my basswood RG.
After that is dimarzio super 3.
However before someone jumped in and tell you that you wont notice the different between basswood,alder,plastic and so on.. Yeah it always happen in thread like this. I'd like to remind you that it's based on my personal opinion and may not be suitable for your taste.
In my experience even if the wood affects the sound, it's very dificult to predict how is going to sound a guitar based in that fact alone.. personally I had 2 guitars (RG350DX and RG1570) both basswood but they sounded very very different, I had an evo bridge in the 350 wich sounded great in that guitar, when I put the evo en the 1570 I was shocked, how awfull it sounded... and yet they were the same wood
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

I'm almost sure I'll go with a Breed bridge but I'm not sure what would be a good neck match. Maybe an Air Norton? I've read it sounds a bit nasal and I quite like that. Is that a good combination?

Last edited by 1990eam; 08-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Bump?

Tags
basswood , ibanez , pick ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode