Pickups for best/easiest artificial harmonics? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 AM

Re: Pickups for best/easiest artificial harmonics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms38270 View Post
I've checked out the 0.001uf capacitors and there are several different types.

What voltage capacitor should I use?

Disc or box?

Ceramic, polyester, polypropylene, mylar film, polyester film?

Multi layrer?

1000pf, 1nf, 102, 102j, 102k, 2A?

High voltage?

Please let me know and thanx again.
for the high pass cap you can use ceramic disk capacitors. No need for high voltage rating either. Your pickups aren't generating a large amount of voltage.

Ceramic .001 Microfarad Treble Bleed Capacitors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM

I'll be taking the rg570 back to the shop later this week.

I'm going to have them check the setup and check to see if I need a fret level and have them tweak the intonation.

I received another message from another forum stating that they had the same problem with the duncan distortion.

I'm also going to put the dimarzio tone zone back in the rg570 and add the high pass capacitor and put the duncan distortion in another guitar and see how it responds.

I just want to be sure that the Ceramic .001 Microfarad Treble Bleed Capacitor is what I need to filter low end frequencies a bit and make the tone zone less muddy.

Please let me know and thanx for all the responses.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 120

Just a greencap is all that is necessary, voltage is not of importance in this situation.
LonePhantom is online  
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Will the Ceramic .001 Microfarad Treble Bleed Capacitor suggested in j.arledge's previous post work?

There's a link in j.arledge's post that will go directly to the cap and it's description.

Please let me know and thanx for your response.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM

I use Emg 81 and Seymour SH4 and never had a problem but what really made my artificial harmonics pop more than anything was when I refretted with stainless frets. I was due for a refret and decided to try them based on their hardness and longetivity 18 years ago. They still look new today btw and I put them on my other guitar 2 years ago when that needed a refret.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Old post... but for my 2 cents, out of all the guitars and pickups I've had experience with the Dimarzio D-Activator just seemed to ooze out harmonics more than any other. Even if I wasn't really trying to get artificial harmonics, a nice overdriven sustained note would generate harmonic overtones if held for a bit. Never tried a D-Activator X though...
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM

Higher output is of course going to be better for pinch harmonics. I find certain pickups seem to be better for them, not sure if it's a connection to how they are wound or the type of magnet used or what...my favorite pickup for pinch harmonics so far is the Duncan Custom Custom (SH11). I do them sometimes unintentionally because its so easy! But, I can even get them out of of the cheap pickups in my old Ibby GiO. It's all about the finesse.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Any pickup should do pinch harmonics. High output helps. I like the super and super 3 from dimarzio and of course EMGs..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode