Pickups for best/easiest artificial harmonics? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Pickups for best/easiest artificial harmonics?

Just wondering what you all have found makes for the best and/or easiest artificial harmonics in the bridge position?

I've been working on something new with a lot of them and have been learning it on one of my UCGR's with an IBZUSA F2 in the bridge. I then moved over to a mahogany JC with a Norton in the bridge and I had a much harder time hitting the harmonics. Wondering if it was me or the guitar, I then picked up a Jem with PAF Pros. They were a bit easier to hit, but when I went back to the guitar with the F2, it was just much easier and the harmonics I was getting were really great.

It seems like the F2 just makes stupid good harmonics. What else have any of you found works well? How much of this might be the wood and how much is the pickups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Pickups for best/easiest artificial harmonics?

Any pickup with a decent amount of compression makes it easier. The F2 has a fairly high resistance, so that's why it's easier. The higher the resistance the more compressed a pickup is.

I've found that the EVH Frankenstein is fantastic for pulling off artificial harmonics. It's not an overly high output pickup, but the reasonable amoun lt of resistance must make it easier to pull them off. Other high output pickups with a decent amount of resistance should be good for them too.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I didn't know that.

It makes sense because I've heard the F2 compared with a Tone Zone, which has pretty high resistance.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Reviews: 6

I guess the EVO2, EVO, FRED and Mo'Joe will give you great harmonics.

But I also found that the Paf Joe (neck pickup) gives awesome harmonics in neck position but it is absolutely not a compressed pup (less than 10kohm impedance)
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Reviews: 7

I think technique is more important, but that said, It's easier with high output pickups in my experience, but man, High Output Active pups such as EMG 81, 85, and the Duncan Metal Blackouts, etc, work really well. I can get squels as I call them just all over the fretboard with little effort, but I used to play with the Duncan Pearly Gates on a LP that screamed too and it had low output. But, it also seems that loads of mids seem to help to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a sound expert.. Just use what sounds right I guess, but the other guys like Phantom know there stuff.. Just my two pence .. :-)
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Hey Stephen.
Interesting you talk about Compression. I think of it as Sustain. I wonder / does more compression in a pickup = more sustain?

Thanks
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Any pickup with a decent amount of compression makes it easier. The F2 has a fairly high resistance, so that's why it's easier. The higher the resistance the more compressed a pickup is.

I've found that the EVH Frankenstein is fantastic for pulling off artificial harmonics. It's not an overly high output pickup, but the reasonable amoun lt of resistance must make it easier to pull them off. Other high output pickups with a decent amount of resistance should be good for them too.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I think technique is more important, but that said, It's easier with high output pickups in my experience, but man, High Output Active pups such as EMG 81, 85, and the Duncan Metal Blackouts, etc, work really well. I can get squels as I call them just all over the fretboard with little effort, but I used to play with the Duncan Pearly Gates on a LP that screamed too and it had low output. But, it also seems that loads of mids seem to help to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a sound expert.. Just use what sounds right I guess, but the other guys like Phantom know there stuff.. Just my two pence .. :-)
Interesting that you say that. Reb Beach has always been an EMG user, yet when he played in Dokken he said he had to have a guitar made with DiMarzios (not sure which pickups) because he needed them to get all the George Lynch harmonics.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Resistance helps, but there are other factors too, like the EQ as a result of the wind of the pickup, etc. I think resistance is the big thing, but fact is some pickups just do a great job of it even with lower resistance. The mids may have something to do with it.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM

Reviews: 2

Hey Jesse, good question........

The Tone Zone and F2 are the best that I own, but in reality, The Duncan Custom or JB are even easier to hit pinch harmonics on. I don't know why, but they've always been the easiest for me.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM

That's right, the JB and Custom are seriously good for this stuff and more. The Custom is an amazing pickup. One of my favourites right now.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Well, that's interesting that Reb would say that.. I know if you listen to some of the metal guys such as Zakk Wylde, etc, you'll hear loads of harmonics. You can really make them scream with EMG's. I can at least and so can Zakk. He's the knig of Squeals..hehe..

I can usually get a squeal out of anything though that is loud enough it seems. Maybe just because I grew up listening to Zz Top, etc, and so I started playing that way. I use them a lot. I like that sound..
Good luck man..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Interesting that you say that. Reb Beach has always been an EMG user, yet when he played in Dokken he said he had to have a guitar made with DiMarzios (not sure which pickups) because he needed them to get all the George Lynch harmonics.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 25

I have not found any electric guitar that i couldn't get harmonics from...
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Just wondering what you all have found makes for the best and/or easiest artificial harmonics in the bridge position?
Super 3 but I'd rather have an Evo 2 in my JC.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Hey Jesse, good question........

The Tone Zone and F2 are the best that I own, but in reality, The Duncan Custom or JB are even easier to hit pinch harmonics on. I don't know why, but they've always been the easiest for me.
I have a JB in my Herc 540P. I'll have to mess around with that. All the Dokken stuff is a JB.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 AM

Yeah, I agree. That's why I said it's technique mostly, but having cool pups does help make it scream louder and last longer, etc,..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I have not found any electric guitar that i couldn't get harmonics from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode