Pickups for guitar thats half mahogany half maple - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Pickups for guitar thats half mahogany half maple

Alright lookin for 2 pickups both hummers that will do anything from cleans all the way to...like meshuggah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 08:22 PM

That's kind of vague. Do you have a brand preference? What kind of curve are you looking for? Does output matter?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 10:53 PM

Get some active emgs *runs for cover*
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

it was purposely vague because I have no brand preference etc, they have to be black non-fspaced humbuckers end of story.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 04:39 AM

DiMarzio Paf-Pro's - Not that i love em too much ;-) An underated pick-up imho,and something i am gonna miss using :-(

Rob
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 AM

I have to back the PAF Pro recommendation. While it's probably not what I'd choose for the bridge (I like a LOT of mids in the bridge spot), it'll sound great clean in both spots. While it may not have the same psychological effect on you as having a fire-breathing pickup in the bridge, you'd be surprised at how well the PAF style pickups will do high-gain. The slightly lower output makes them very clear, and they have a real nice, even response. If they sound good to you, but you'd like a little more output/mids/harmonics, than I think you'd be happy with the FRED. It's basically a slightly hotter PAF Pro with a touch more midrange. Listen to Satch's CDs for a good idea of what they sound like for lead and rhythm. Also bear in mind that they can be made to sound much more ferocious than they do on Joe's records.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

yea I'm definitly sold on a PAF pro at this point everyone keeps recommending them and they arent too expensive and I'm kind of torn between a fred and an evolution guess I might have to wander down to GC and play a JS1000 and a Jem see which one I like thanks for all your help guys.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:01 AM

Ahhh.. so you're interested in an Evolution. It's a nice, nice pickup to say the least. I have a 7 string model about to go in my RG. I played a Jem 7VWH through a Mesa Mark IV once... it was unbelievable. I have a feeling that if you want high-gain, you're going to be sold on the EVOs.

Tags
dimarzio paf , mesa mark , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode