Pickups with Passion and Warfare - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Pickups with Passion and Warfare

Guys, like all of you, I love Steve Vai and just in a matter of days I'm going to Glenside to experience, after nearly 5 years of waiting, that night where we Fly through Blue Dreams, feel Rising Forces and let Passion and Warfare run through our souls. Yes G3 will be a magical night and I cant wait, even if I do have 4 midterms that week ! That day I was sitting and thinking about how much I'd love to get Dimarzio Evolutions on every position though in the recent past I;ve also been thinking very strongly about Dimebuckers, Bill Lawrences, Air Nortons and Steve's Specials. Yet I was thinking, the albums that I loved most were Fire Garden,the 7th song and Passion and Warfare, though in all honesty I havent heard much else. So what I wanted to know was what pickup configurations our favourite King of Melody and Imagination might have used on those records....some help guys ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 AM

Hi Max,

Vai uses mainly the Evo's in his last albums, also on Fire Garden (as far as I know), unless something is played on a 7-string... then it is the Blaze. The PAF Pro's he played long ago (with David Lee Roth etc...) as well as the X2N . Passion and Warfare is played for a large part on a seven string I think... Blaze II pickups.
Check his homepage, www.Vai.com and take a look at his guitars...

Enjoy the concert!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 02:14 PM

I thought he used a JB on the DLR stuff??

Anyway an Evo should work (depending on what type of guitar) what guitar do you have??
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 05:48 PM

I thougt he used a Gibson Firebird on Fire Garden?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 11:18 AM

I think he used a lot of guitars on Fire Garden. I think the main parts were his Jems, though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 PM

The primary guitars used on Fire Garden were the JEMs with EVOs, he didn't use the Unis much or at all that I can remember on that one. He used a super-cheapo Fender Strat to get the very cool clean sounds on some of Alien Love Secrets.

He has always used the Blaze pups on the 7s as far as I know from Whitesnake and Passion up to anything else. Back then he used PAF Pros for the JEMs though. People are always talking about changing the Blazes, I dunno, I tailored my setup and and amp settings to bring out the best the in the Uni and I love them, ESPECIALLY the neck, awesome lead tone. Listen to For the Love of God for an example of Universe bridge and neck lead tone.

Tags
air norton , air nortons , amp settings , david lee roth , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , fender strat , fire garden , paf pro , paf pros , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode