Pickups for RG321MH and tone pot - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Pickups for RG321MH and tone pot

I want a cheapish 'beater' sort of guitar.. that's easy to drop tune etc. For hard rock, heavy metal.. tight bass.. fast picking etc.

RG321 seems like a good option.

For pickups, I think I'm set on Breeds or Dominions. I think I'll be going with Dominion's. I want to stay passive to add some versatility.

Does all of this sound right? Any ideas?

One other idea I just had.. this is the main reason I decided to start this topic..

These pickups are on the darker end of the spectrum, combined with the mahagony.. do you think a 1 meg pot would be better? To bleed off less treble to ground.. and have the option for more treble to come through? If it's bright.. I could always use the guitar with the tone knob on 5 all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Pickups for RG321MH and tone pot

The Dominions aren't that dark. You should be fine with 500K.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 AM

I have a 321MH. One of the best guitars I've ever owned and played. Total underdog gem hidden in the range.

The Iron Gear Steam Hammer sounds amazing in this guitar. Seems to suit the Mahogany VERY well. It has a comparable sound to the DiMarzio Evo I have in my other RG. Retains it's clarity well when downtuning too.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_024.htm
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM

I second the above comment on the 321mh being underrated.I bought mine used off the bay few years ago.I swapped the pups for a ss/an and its been my main workhhorse for at least a couple years now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I really think the Dominions will suit me best. The neck was described as a mix of Air Norton and PAF Pro which sounds PERFECT for me.. and the bridge.. maybe a tad dark (I like bright/icepick bridge because you can always turn the tone knob down) but it's supposed to be really responsive to fast picking and stay tight.. lots of midrange.. tight bass. Sounds great.

One other thing I'm wondering..

The pickup wiring.. should I get coil split pot and get my tech/luthier to do some sort of fancy wiring with the 5 way switch.. so that it could be 5 combos PLUS the coil split push pull pot or is the default wiring of RG321 such.. that a coil split won't be worth it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Not sure but that seems more like a preference decision really. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Reviews: 120

The 5 way in the RG321 is very useful. I've wired up two guitars with these switches. I'd just stick to the standard first. They are a non-Standard switch that is made for Ibanez. It doesn't work like a standard 5 way Strat switch. It gives you series bridge, split bridge and neck, full series neck and bridge, parallel neck and series neck. Great combos.

Tags
breed , dominion , dominions , metal , rg321

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode