Pickups for S540? X2N, Evo, Super Dist? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Pickups for S540? X2N, Evo, Super Dist?

I'm getting an S540LTD in the mail pretty soon here, and wondering what people put in the bridge of these things for metal. This is mostly going to be my tuned to D or Db "Death Metal" guitar. It's a 1993 with the IBZUSA F2/C3/F1 pickups.

I want something hot as hell, with a good amount of chug, but clear enough to sound tight. Lead tone is also important to me, single note lines in general, and of course harmonics.

I've never owned an S before(or a mohagany guitar with no maple top for that matter), so I'm sorta confused.

To give you an idea, my current fav pickups in basswood are the Breed and the Super 3. I'm leaning towards the X2N or Super D for something slightly different. (I don't care for EMGs at all)

Just thowing this out here for opinions, after I get the guitar I might have a better idea based on the way the stock bridge pickup sounds.

Is there a Dimarzio equivalent for the F1? I've done a forum search on this, and while there's lots of references to the F2 being like a Double Whammy or Tone Zone, there's not much about the tone of the F1 outside people liking it. My fav neck pickups are the Breed neck and Air Norton, so if it's close to these I should be okay I guess. lol Otherwise it's out for an Air Norton, since my other 2 guitars have the Breed neck model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:24 AM

Re: Pickups for S540? X2N, Evo, Super Dist?

I haven't tried the F1, but some people here say it's similar to the Breed or a PAF on steroids.

I have an X2N and man that thing kills! I haven't tried it in mahogany, but in basswood...HELL YEAH! It's metal/shred heaven. It's tight, thick and bright so it cuts through (not brittle though). Great 'chuggah-chuggah factor' I imagine it would sound great in mahogany too; maybe just more mids. The only problem with that p/u is stopping your fingers from overshredding!

I guess the SD would give you a Les Paulish tone
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the Evo, thinking that the guitar would be somewhat thick sounding, but now I've found out that the thin body keeps this at bay.

I've always wanted an X2N, so I'm gonna give that shot(when I can get one for the guitar, that is).
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:20 AM

I see what you mean about the thin body; it makes a big difference. I find my S270's body very, very middy (mostly upper mids with a hint of thick Les Paulish thickness)

Just one word of warning about the X2N: you really can't stop your fingers! You'll hear the 'shut up, we know you can play!' all the time

Chords are as thick as they come, and leads are crystal clear and biting, if that's what you like. I know Vai didn't use it there, but it reminds me of the leads in 'Sex and Religion', that kind of thick, clear, in-your-face bite.

Tags
air norton , breed neck model , bridge pickup , death metal , les paul , neck pickup , neck pickups , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode