Pickups suggestion for rg550 20th anniversary - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Pickups suggestion for rg550 20th anniversary

I bought the rg550 20th anniversary (red flare) 6 months ago and it feels good. However, I've decided to swap them for the Dimarzio pickups. The stock pickup in the neck sounds weak to my ears and I need a fatter tone in the bridge pickup.

I'm planning to go Breeds for both the bridge and neck pickup in red. I play mainly Steve Vai's. I was wondering if the Breeds sound good on basswood guitar. For Breed users please share your thoughts.

Btw I need some suggestion on which middle pickup I should choose so they sound calibrated with the breeds. Thanks for taking your time reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Re: Pickups suggestion for rg550 20th anniversary

Steve's basswood Jem has Breeds as far as I was aware. Don't know which one(s): black one?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

yeap i knew that, but i'm not really sure which pickups to choose for the middle pickup since Dimarzio doesn't sell single coil breed.. =(
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM

I would go with the ISCV2 (middle for the JEM evo setup) if you want traditional. I just ordered a set of breeds with a blue velvet for the middle but have not received them yet to offer a comment.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonyong View Post
yeap i knew that, but i'm not really sure which pickups to choose for the middle pickup since Dimarzio doesn't sell single coil breed.. =(

dimarzio does make a single coil breed, you have to call them to get the model number and then go to ur local dimarzio dealer to order it upfront

iscv2 is a bad all middle for the evo setup, but i beleive they use a different model for the breed setup, the iscv2 is a singlecoil of the evo just wound a bit hotter
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

I think vai uses breeds on his mirror jem with sustainer.
He plays bad horsie with it on the astoria dvd, and another song on g3 tokyo dvd
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Reviews: 1

I think your best asking DiMarzio and using their online tool.
I have been recommended Breeds by DiMarzio after I explained I wanted to get Vai, Satch, gilbert and Dream Theater tones.

I went with Tone Zone + Air Norton and a HS-2.
I fitted them today and found I can get everything I wanted!

Even tho the guitar is a basswood body its not to bassy. You have to remember you have a floyd on there and they can make things a lil thinner than usual.

Breed or Norton series deffinately
Oh for the single, it depends if you want to go for cancelling or not, Blue Velvet if you dont want hum cancelling, HS-2 is a weak pickup but you get nice crunch tones out of it.

Tags
air norton , basswood body , basswood guitar , bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , neck pickup , steve vai , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode