Please help! Fernandes Sustainer - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Please help! Fernandes Sustainer

Hello friends. Well I decided to install a Fernandes Sustainer on my Jem 7VWH, hope I dont regret it because so far things aren't good. My luthier is highly skilled with wiring however it's worth asking the form before I go to the trouble of trying to return this thing. Basically he wired it up and here's what happens.

With the sustainer in "off" position:
bridge and middle pickups work fine, neck pickup (sustainer) is dead silent, no signal at all

With sustainer in "on" position:
My understanding is in the "on" position it only uses the bridge pickup which makes sense since in the "on" position I hear no difference at all when switching between pickups, it seems to sound like the bridge at all times. However there is no sustain effect at all.

Side note: the red light on the circuit board is on so long as the guitar is plugged in.

My luthier says that it seems to him like the sustainer pickup must be dead, which seems logical. However I wanted to run it by any of you that have experience with these, is there another possible explanation? From what I hear Fernandes support is pretty horrible, so I feel like my only other option is take the whole thing apart and return it in the hopes of another one working... Thanks so much for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Re: Please help! Fernandes Sustainer

I had a fernandes guitar with a sustainer factory installed. The neck pickup worked without the sustainer on. I think there are a couple of different versions of the sustainer. You should double check which one you have and verify how it is suppose to function.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi So I have the FSK-101. So the neck pickup doesn't work at all so I'm feeling pretty confident that it's because the pickup is just bad and needs replaced. Apparently a lot of these ship defective and Fernandes having to replace parts is really common. I have a replacement on order so we'll see how it goes!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 02:14 AM

Hi did you ever sort this out , i cant decide weather to use the 401 or 101 kit
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

I did! Ended up being that the pickup (driver) was bad but the circuit board was fine. Returned it and had to wait a while for another but when It showed up it worked great. All in all it was a huge headache I don’t know if I’d do it again, but once you get it working it is pretty awesome

Tags
fernandes sustainer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode