Plini sound and versatility pickup replacement - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Wink Plini sound and versatility pickup replacement

Hey all, I am in need of some guidance on pickups. I did a search of the forums and I think I have confused myself even more, lol. I have an Ibanez RG3EXKA1 and I swapped out the pickups with a Dimarzio Tone Zone and PAF Pro from my Ibanez USRG30; the issue was that the pickups were direct mount; they are not surviving the mock up I tried to have them sit int he pickup bezels. The tone is great when the TZ sounds really great but I think its very limited. I do not like the PAF Pro at all. So, what I would like to do is be able to have the sound int he vein of Plini; I love the tones and sound from his guitars. Yes, he uses an AXE FX and Bareknuckle pickups; I was hoping I could buy some Dimarzios that would come super close. After a huge amount of video watch and sound samples, i was reading that the Dimarzio Steve Special might be what I am looking for in the bridge and an Air Norton for the neck. I was also on my own thinking of others, like Evolution Bridge with an Evolution Neck / Evolution Bridge and Air Norton Neck / Evolution Bridge and Illuminator Neck. I was even considering a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Re: Plini sound and versatility pickup replacement

Do you know which Bareknukles he's using? Also, it might be worth looking back to see what he was playing before Bareknuckle, as they're probably Dimarzio or Duncans, and will probably be in the same vein. You're looking at a HUGE range of pickups here, so knowing something about what he's using that you like will help to narrow it down.

Also, what don't you like about the PAF Pro? And if you think the Tone Zone sounds "really great," then how exactly is it limited?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you there has to be a pickup he uses prior to the BKs. The BKs he uses are the Juggeurnauts. Maybe some more digging as I have seen him playing Ibanez with black covered pickups, not EMGs though. The PAF Pro honestly sounds so thin; I honestly think it wasn't installed correctly because it sounds horrid. I was thinking maybe the TZ was one dimensional almost an EQed quality to it. Plus the fact that it is a direct mount sitting in a bezel is not the best situation; SO i was going to see if I could find a nice set for the sounds that I wanted.

I like to play music in the vein of Satriani, Vai, Haken, Dream Theater, Plini, Chon.
I play through my DAW using Amplitube and Guitar Rig IV
Guitar is a Basswood body with a fixed bridge 24 Frets
1 volume and one tone with a three way switch
Pickups are ring mounted
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:48 PM

http://info.shimamura.co.jp/guitar/n...-masvidal-os6/

This might be a good starting point - there was a mooted Strandberg Plini signature model that came spec'd with a JB and a Jazz, which kind of implies that's what he was using at the time.

He also posts over at sevenstring.org as prh, and I'm sure if you posted in the Plini Appreciation Thread (which someone else started, lol) he'd be happy to answer questions about his gear before he started using Bareknuckles.

The PAF Pro shouldn't sound thin - I would wonder if it's wired incorrectly. Also, if he did indeed use a Jazz in the neck and JB in the bridge, then a PAF Pro and Tone Zone aren't THAT bad a starting point - the PAF Pro and Jazz both have a bit of that crisp attack thing going (what I love about the PAF pro, in fact), though the PAF Pro is definitely a little more mid-focused. And, the Tone Zone is maybe a bit reminiscent of a JB, but thicker and smoother. It also holds up very well to scooping midrange, because there's so much of it to begin with. Not that I'd recommend scooping your mids, haha.

Last edited by Drew; 11-20-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Awesome info Drew! Thank you for the help!

Tags
dimarzio , pickups , plini , replacement , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode