Position 2: no sound :( - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Position 2: no sound :(

I've got a new switch for my RG7620 (identical model to the faulty one being replaced). Everything is wired up exactly as it should be but I'm not getting any sound on position 2. Position 1, 4 and 5 seem to be doing exactly what they should as far as I can tell, but position 3 sounds identical to 4, and position 2 is silent. What could it be? Is it possible a wire is broken where it departs from the pickup? Or could the switch be dodgy? This is very frustrating. I'm at the end of my pickup knowledge in trying to diagnose the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Re: Position 2: no sound :(

I have a 7620, and I've looked into the circuit a lot. I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but the switch is completely non standard, are you sure your replacement is of the correct type?
See http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70571 for further info! Other than that I'll give it some thought
Jim
btw when you say position 1 do you mean neck or bridge pu selected?

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 12-06-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: omission
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM

If I am not mistaken, if you install the switch the other way round and wire it at the same positions as you look at it now (the 1 st wire that you have will go on the other side as 1st) it will be ok... I think it happened to me before...
but on the other positions, I had sound, but not as intended... check if on the other positions you have the sounds indicated by the wiring, these should not be correct if you have the same problem I did... (I hope what I am writing makes sense... )
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, that makes sense, maybe I've just had a brain-free moment and put the switch in backwards.

Here's the Ibanez wiring diagram, so this is how I've presently got it wired up:

http://ibanez.com/support/wiring/W97051.gif

Note that both pickups say "Neck". I saw the pickup codes and noticed the only difference between them was an N in one and a B in the other, so I figured that was Bridge and Neck, but perhaps they got that wrong too so I wired everything in reverse.

It was about 12:30am when I started this topic so you can understand why I didn't think of that. *LOL*

EDIT: Vim Fuego, do you think perhaps this is the wrong switch for that wiring diagram, and I might have more success wiring it according to this diagram http://ibanez.com/support/wiring/2005/RG2620.gif, since the switch drawing looks much more like my switch than the one in the other diagram higher up in this post? It could be a clue. *puts on Columbo hat* The difference seems to be that in the 1st diagram, the 3rd tab from the right goes to the volume pot, but in the second, it goes to the switch casing. Would this really make any difference?

Last edited by Petie; 12-06-2007 at 10:34 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
I have a 7620, and I've looked into the circuit a lot. I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but the switch is completely non standard, are you sure your replacement is of the correct type?
This is the switch I bought (from some auction site) because it looked to be identical to the one I took out, from a 1999 RG7620.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
btw when you say position 1 do you mean neck or bridge pu selected?
I mean the bridge.

Then again, baby was sleeping when I was doing this so the volume was very low and it's possible I wasn't able to clearly hear which pickup was which. But who can find the time to do proper guitar maintenance when you have a baby? *LOL*

Last edited by Petie; 12-06-2007 at 09:28 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 AM

My babies are 5 and 9 now, but I *still* have to bring my guitars to work if I want to do any maintenance (during lunch break of course)!
I'm sorry to say that it *looks* like the switch is wrong from the photo in your post.
If it really is from a 2001 RG570 then that's the problem!
The 570 has 3 pickups and uses a fairly ordinary switch. If this goes wrong it can be replaced with something easily available from say allparts.
The 2 pickup RGs use a different switch custom made by Ibanez to get the series and parallel options.
The confusion comes because I think both switches look the same as only the PCB is different, the case is the same!
You could replace the switch with the right one a SC/2502W from Ibanez, (Cottam guitars in the UK stocks them) http://www.cottamguitars.co.uk/index...mart&Itemid=26
They look like this:

Failing that you could use one of the 4 pole megaswitches if they're easily available in the Antipodes ( I can give you the circuit)!
Finally you could probably get something like the normal options using your switch and a push pull pot, I'll think of a circuit for you if you want.
Jim
(oh, and it doesn't matter if the wire goes to the switch casing or the pot casing provided both are earthed)

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 12-07-2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: addition
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll order the right switch after Xmas.

In the meantime, I have a new Fender-style switch sitting in my parts box, and I found this online: http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techwire/tech17.jpg

The switch I have is this one, the DM50. Do you think it would work?
http://www.promusicaustralia.com/gui...es/DM50.30.JPG

If it works, I may keep it like that.

Last edited by Petie; 12-12-2007 at 06:11 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

I just tried the 'Humbucker Lovers' (which made me hungry as it reminded me of Domino's Meat Lovers pizza) and it worked perfectly with the DM50 switch. I'm going to keep it like that because there are some very cool combinations there.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 07:57 AM

I'm glad you're happy.
Interestingly, when I looked at the circuit I couldn't work out how position 4 gave Lead and rhythm single coil in parallel, I think it would be lead single on it's own! I'd be interested if you can confirm either way (I may have missed something)!
Jim
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Lemmie give it the 'ol 'tap with a screwdriver' test and I'll let you know.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Update: You're right, that position is now just a bridge single coil and it sounds phenomenal!

Tags
cottam guitars , ibanez wiring diagram , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode