PU suggestion? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

PU suggestion?

Hi, after doing a bit of research I figured I would just ask you guys for some pointers.

Guitar: 2001 Ibanez Jem 7VWH- alder / evos
Amp: BOGNER XTC 101b
Cab: 4x12 Marshall - v30's
FX: TC G-major for gate, delay, slight reverb.

Style/objective: To put it plainly, The current setup with my JEM has no meat. It is too thin and bright. I am getting a mahogany body made to replace it and I am looking for some good pickups. I really like the chunk and harmonics I get from a PRS singlecut but I can't afford a legitimate PRS. I played a PRS SE245 (cheap version) and I like the harmonics and tone I can get out of that, and I am wondering if I put the actual PRS SC245's in my mahogany body JEM, or even a Gibson humbuckers. I don't really need a high output pickup, but I do like my EVH style harmonics. I want a good chunky tone, with some good harmonics, and growl while keeping my RED channel gain at 1 o'clock, while being able to hit my boost and get smooth semi-bluesy neck tones for a lead, while being able to utilize pinch harmonics without too much harsh sounding highs in the upper registry w/ my treble pickup. My current setup lacks a full sounding natural harmonic response, no matter the pickup height. I use 10guage strings.

If this post is too annoying to take seriously, you don't have to respond.

Thanks,

I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: PU suggestion?

The Tone Zone is phenomenal in alder. That'll give you big,fat, heavy tones. Harmonics are great. If its too bass heavy there is an easy way to solve it, a 0.047uf or 0.01uf cap (to taste) between the hot wire and the pickup selector will filter out some of the low end.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The Tone Zone is phenomenal in alder. That'll give you big,fat, heavy tones. Harmonics are great. If its too bass heavy there is an easy way to solve it, a 0.047uf or 0.01uf cap (to taste) between the hot wire and the pickup selector will filter out some of the low end.
THIS^^^^^^

If you've already ordered the mahogany body, keep the Evo's around to try them.......They'll "beef" up a bit in that body.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'd say the Tone Zone will still be a bit too muddy in any guitar especially through a 4x12 cab. But others really like it.

By vote would have gone to the regular Norton bridge pickup from DiMarzio for the type of sound you seem to describing.

What I do find most interesting though is that you want to keep the same settings on the amp and would rather buy new equipment than use the equipmet you already have that's specifically designed to alter the tone...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd say the Tone Zone will still be a bit too muddy in any guitar especially through a 4x12 cab. But others really like it.

By vote would have gone to the regular Norton bridge pickup from DiMarzio for the type of sound you seem to describing.

What I do find most interesting though is that you want to keep the same settings on the amp and would rather buy new equipment than use the equipmet you already have that's specifically designed to alter the tone...
Gotta agree with Jono on this. You've got great pickups and excellent gear to manipulate the tone. Properly use what you have first. If it's still not doing it for you, another great pickup combo is the Super Distortion and PAF Pro.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Actually I have manipulated the sounds on my amp quite a bit and I'm not opposed to that sort of thing. I just feel like I am missing something. My alder/evolution Floyd will never sound like my basswood/blaze fixed rg no matter what I dial in.

I am ordering a mahogany / maple top body (haven't quite yet but that's the route I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing instead of solid mahogany).

I appreciate the responses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode