Pup grades for my RG550's - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Pup grades for my RG550's

Which Pick ups would you guys recommend for a 'stereotypical' Vai sound and which of my RG's would you put them in for optimal results?

At the moment I am fresh into learning about pick ups so apologies for my naivety etc

Vai material that has inspired me = alien love secrets(top of the list becsuse of its "simplicity"), fire garden(especially the last track), passion and warfare(audience is listning and for the love of god)

my guitars at home are;

1998 Rg550ltdnpm v7 s1 v8 - rosewood Fingerboard

2007 rg550mxxB nailbomb(b) irish tour(m) crawler(n) (Bare Knuckles) - rosewood Fingerboard

1993 rg550ca v1 s1 v2 - Maple Fingerboard

amp line6 spider(mk1) with floorboard (ideas on optimising Tone here would rock too)

Dont use pedals or any other garnish or gadgetry.

So after the Vai style upgrade that will leave one guitar with left with stock pups. What then would you recommend just purely because you think they are cool?! I hear a lot about seymore duncans, Bill Laurence. Or go for more Bare Knuckles or dimarzios.

More styles i like to play are - Megadeth, Extreme, Blues improv (clean to Distortion)

Again apologies for the novice brain i got here

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Re: Pup grades for my RG550's

You got the same 550CA that I have

If you want vai tones, get Vai signature pickups. If you want the best possible setup, Guitar center in the US sells a Dimarzio Evolution 3 pack that includes the evolution middle single coil (most places you can only find it in this pack, some places MIGHT sell it as Dimarzio ISCV2).

For me, I'd switch out the pups in the 1998. The 93 V1/V2 are decent pups and are pretty versatile, but the V7/V8s are just garbage. I had them in my RG1550 but when playing in lowered tuning (even just half step down to E flat) they sounded horrible. If you can ditch those and get the vai set, go for it. If you cant find the 3 pack, get the Evolution neck, Evo 2 bridge and the HS-2 (iirc the HS-2 was the closest fit to the ISCV2 that dimarzio has and you can still get nice Vai tones from it). I may be wrong about the HS-2 so check dimarzio.com's support section because they talk about it there.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Got a better section for better results here, bud:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/

Pickups alone won't do it--but are a good start.
I'd go with an Evo set.

If you're dead-set on that Vai tone, then ditch the Line 6 and grab a Carvin Legacy.
Your playing is the other key ingredient, but those pickups and amp will put you in the ballpark.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Thread moved.

The original Evolution set (not the Evo2) will get you closest to the Alien Love Secrets tone, in an RG550
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 AM

I agree that you should leave V1&V2 as they are ok pickups, while V7&V8 are crap -IMO, no need for parking lot fistfight here

EVO's never worked for me, while Super2 did the trick - more classic and crunchy sound, less tight and warmer... also more versatile. PAF neck & HS-2 middle and you are good to go.

Super2 is really awesome heavy metal pickup, it's going to sound amazing on your Spider MK1.

Last edited by nafigator; 02-03-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode