Push-Pull pot reversed - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Push-Pull pot reversed

In the process of getting my RT650 back to stock I've reinstalled a push-pull pot, which before I had it was removed. Using a diagram from Jemsite (since the ones from Ibanez weren't working out for me), I got it working- but backwards. The humbuckers are split when the tone pot is pulled, rather than pushed. Not a big deal, except that when I'm in single coil mode and want to go humbucking, I have to really grab that new pot and yank it up. Any idea what would cause this reversal? Can post pics if needed- just wondering if there's a commonly known reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM

Re: Push-Pull pot reversed

Your post is a bit confusing. You've said that the humbuckers are split when the pot is pulled but then you said when you want to go back to humbucking you have to pull the pot.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Reviews: 120

If the switching options are reversed it's simple, you've reversed the wiring on the DPDT switch! I've done this myself as well. Swap each set of three wires over to the opposing sides of the switch.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I miswrote it the first time- pushed is split; pulled is humbucker. Annoying.

LonePhantom I'll try your suggestion next time I change strings. Thanks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM

When I was rewiring my RT650, the wiring diagram I kept coming across turned out to be incorrect. I eventually came across the right one. You may already have it, but if not, this is the right one:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

You may be the one I need to thank- that's the one that finally worked for me! I wasn't sure how to read the dpdt thing, which may explain why I ended up reversing the thing.

One result of this accidental wiring deal is that when I'm in position 4 with the coil tap on, I actually get the whole neck humbucker with the single coil. If I untap the pot, it goes to the usual middle+one coil of the humbucker sound. Probably not particularly useful but I think it's kind of cool.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Finally got around to switching this back- I moved each of the three connections to the opposite side they were on...same result!

I guess I could just get used to it...easiest option. My only beef is that I'll spend much more time full humbucking than split, and if I happen to be in the split position and need to go back to humbucking, it's actually pretty tough to grab hold of that tone knob and pull it up since the new pot is so tight. Oh well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Thats not how you reverse a DPDT.
1a 2a 3a
1b 2b 3b

a and b are independent, to reverse it you need to swap 3 for 1, other wise you just change the 'channel' in the switch, but not the functionality.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
I miswrote it the first time- pushed is split; pulled is humbucker. Annoying.

LonePhantom I'll try your suggestion next time I change strings. Thanks!
This is how I have it and prefer it this way. Usually I play with pot down, so for us that's single coil mode with switched wires.

Only when I want to launch into solo and if it needs it I pull up on the knob to get extra mids and gain in full humbucker mode. It's too easy to have it up for single coil mode but accidentally push it putting into humbucking mode and getting too loud for rhythm part.

Most of the time is spent on rhythm in single coil mode so it's in the safe down position and not easily altered. There's nothing more annoying than hitting the knob and getting extra volume when not called for or having a three or five way switch too close to picking hand switching pickups by accident. In almost every guitar I have played hitting a three or five way switch by strumming hand by accident also changes volume.

For guitars without push pull, but power or mid boost, those too have to be manipulated on purpose to get the extra power. It's good to have extra power but to control it by having to purposely do something like hit a switch not easily hit by accident, or pull up a knob (which can't be done easily by accident).

Seymour Duncan has a great set of diagrams for many different types of wiring including the push pull pots. A push pull pot is nice in that you don't have to drill an extra hole for a switch to go between single coil and humbucking. Push pull pots fit into most bodies that take a regular volume/tone pot.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback- and I'll try to adjust my way of thinking so I don't have to adjust my wiring again! Much easier.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Thanks for the feedback- and I'll try to adjust my way of thinking so I don't have to adjust my wiring again! Much easier.
What would be cool one day is if there's a pedal that can take any regular humbucker signal and magically scoop out the mids and lows and get a single coil/Fender type tone. You wouldn't have to do anything to your guitar or with your hands. An added bonus would be if you could have that Fender tone on that footswitch but also get it without 60 cycle hum!

I hate 60 cycle hum but I love a true single coil tone even more so I put up with it. Somehow the humbucker just doesn't have the same expression on lead guitar or ability to cut through thick bass/horns/keyboards the same way a single coil can. I would hate to think of SRV, Hendrix, or Clapton only using humbuckers and that cutting single coil tone and great expressiveness and percussiveness is something that makes a single coil tone hard to replace in any arsenal.

That being said, I wouldn't want Zakk or Kirk to be stuck with only single coils and that big fat EMG 81 is indispensable to those tones made for Ozzy and Metallica. While no one guitar could get that vintage strat single coil tone AND big EMG 81 tone, a good compromise is a four conductor humbucker with push-pull pot or mini switch.

Tags
push-pull , rt650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode