Push pull pots or mini switches? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Push pull pots or mini switches?

I'm going to get my DBK rewired so that the hums split. I would prefer the push pull pots but I think the trem arm will end up hitting them. Am I able to split the neck and bridge hums on just the tone pot?

If I get the mini switches, I will put them between the two pots, that seems like a good place. I found some switches that were on/off/on and on/on/on. What are the differences in these? and if there is more than one on position, does that mean I can have either the lower or upper coil on?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I also saw a switch that was on/off/on and it was also on/on/on. Whats the difference in all these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:44 PM
EKG

You should be able to use the Tone as the coil split. I don't think it will interfere at all with the trem arm.

I'm not too familiar with the switches, so I won't comment on those ;-)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:10 PM

As long as the push/pull pot uses a DPDT switch - easily identified by the switch body sticking off of the pot having 6 solder lugs - then you can have that one pull-switch shut off a coil on both humbuckers.

Switches; an on/on/on can allow for more tonal variations, but it gets more complex, and doesn't allow for coil selection... and remember, that can have an undesired effect when combined with the middle single, as choosing the other coil on your humbucker in parallel with the middle single coil will then be out of phase, and also NOT humbucking...

Have a look here, and back up to the main directory, and you'll find other wiring diagrams.
DiMarzio wiring document(s)

Happy hunting.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm getting these done when my pickguard comes in. The pickguard on my DBK had a huge arc on it, so I get a new one under warranty . The tech said that its on its way. I'll see what kind of stuff the tech has and what he can do with them.

thank you
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:44 PM

Re: Push pull pots or mini switches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman219
If I get the mini switches, I will put them between the two pots, that seems like a good place. I found some switches that were on/off/on and on/on/on. What are the differences in these? and if there is more than one on position, does that mean I can have either the lower or upper coil on?
these are 3 position mini-toggles that have an extra middle position. in on/off/on, the middle position is completely off, no switch lugs are connected to each other at all. in on/on/on, the middle position is connected to one 'half' of each side of the switch, sort of halfway between the other two positions if you think about it.

people often use the 3 position mini-toggles to wire lots of phase switching for one humbucker, which can get really complicated without a whole lot of return, IMO. one DPDT push/pull pot will cut both your humbuckers, it'll be way under the trem arm, and that's a good way to start learning about coil cutting and wiring.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 1
I would avoid using mini toggles personally, just to retain the original look of the axe. Using a pull pot would retain the look of your axe and give you the functionality you're looking for.

Bamm

Tags
bridge hum , coil split , mini switches , mini toggle , trem arm , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode