QM1 & QM2 stock pickups - DiMarzio equivalent? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Question QM1 & QM2 stock pickups - DiMarzio equivalent?

Does anyone know what, if any, DiMarzio pickups the stock Ibanez QM1 and QM2 are based on?

I have a variety of DiMarzios in different guitars - Breeds, Evos, PAF Pros, FREDs, even a Humbucker from Hell . Since getting a new amp that really lets me hear the differences between these, I cannot get around the fact that my favorite of the lot are the stock QM pups in my 1994 S540!

I seem to remember that most "DiMarzio designed" pickups that they do for guitar companies tend to be variations on named pickups from the regular DiMarzio line. Therefor I'd love to know what these QMs are based on, because there are a number of guitars I'd like to fit them to.

If we can't be that precise, even some basic info would be appreciated. What kind of magnets are in the QM series pups? Alnico V? Ceramic? What's their output value?

There is no good information in the '94 catalog, Google only turned up one guy who thinks they are based on Evos (I can't see this being true as they are tonally a world apart) and the Jemsite search was made a little tricky by the term "QM" or "QM1" being too short to include in a search string.

Thanks for any leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM

Re: QM1 & QM2 stock pickups - DiMarzio equivalent?

The 97 and 98 catalogs have a table showing the QM1 and QM2 as having ceramic mags. The QM-S1 has an alnico magnet.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM

QM pickups are not built or designed by Dimarzio, theyre Ibanez's own pups...

Theyre the best pickups they offered (came stock in several prestige and signature guitars), miles better than the V series...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Interesting points, both!

I am surprised these have ceramic magnets. My other ceramics sound too harsh through this amp (a Splawn) and I thought I'd figured out at least to avoid ceramics. Now I find they power my favorite pup. These sound so much smoother. Puzzling. :/

Are you 100% on that info, Marianozz? I thought all Ibanez's better pickups were DiMarzio designed or made. The QMs certainly are miles better than the Vs in my book.

Hopefully if I can find a DC rating I might have a start on finding similar pickups.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 AM

I meant theyre the best pickups Ibanez made themselves...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Oh yes, I understood you on that point completely! What I tried to ask was, are you certain DiMarzio had no hand in designing the QMs?

Sorry for the confusion.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 AM

This is all very interesting, and definately deserves my first post as a new member.

I came across this website after a search on these pickups in google. Surprisingly its really hard to find out any info on them as such.

The reason I am trying to learn about them is I too love them. I just purchased not long ago an "Ibanez S1625FBNT", atleast thats what is written on the price tag. I've yet to find anything on the internet about it though. the search comes up with no results.

After doing some digging around, the guitar which looks most like what I have, is actually the S1625FB. Which is likely the same guitar, however I don't know where the NT in my price tag comes from.

You would think that with prestige guitars there would be a wealth of information out there. So basically my guitar has the QM1 and QM2 pickups that are being discussed in this topic. When I purchased the guitar I was on the understanding that the pickups in it were DiMarzio's, and after having a close look and not seeing anything DiMarzio I was a bit confused.

None the less, even with these pickups the guitar is still an awesome guitar, and it still screems with all the warmth I desire.

So if you guys do ever manage to dig up some solid information on these pickups I'd love to learn more about them. And likewise if I find anything I'll be sure to post in here.

Cheers,
Newo.

[Edit - After posting this I noticed the dates and realised this thread is long dead... *sigh*. I'd still like to leave my mark here in this thread however.]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 AM

These are my favourite p/up too. They sound less powerful than other p/ups i've got and i thought they sounded close to the PAFs that are fitted to JS guitars.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
I meant theyre the best pickups Ibanez made themselves...
I think old V2s from the beginning of the 80s and also Super 58 are great pickups too...
But all of these are far away from recent V series (V6, V7, V8 )

I think I read some tone charts one old Ibanez catalogs like this one : http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1997/97041.jpg
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newo View Post
[Edit - After posting this I noticed the dates and realised this thread is long dead... *sigh*. I'd still like to leave my mark here in this thread however.]
You were looking at the join dates rather than the posting dates perhaps? A week isn't long dead, especially in the tech section, more... waiting for info.

I'm glad someone else loves these pickups. It is really not easy to find much information on them. They just make my tube amp sing, with the right warmth in the highs and musical, detailed mids that many of my other pups are missing.

I doubt the "NT" on the end of your model name concerns much more than cosmetics - perhaps Natural? - with FB probably being Figured Bubinga if my Ibanez initials recall is accurate. A lovely guitar.

Anyway, yeah, even if it's at some point in the future when the thread really is dead, I'd appreciate you adding anything you dig up on the QMs here. For me or the next guy. Cheers.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez otaku View Post
You were looking at the join dates rather than the posting dates perhaps? A week isn't long dead, especially in the tech section, more... waiting for info.

I'm glad someone else loves these pickups. It is really not easy to find much information on them. They just make my tube amp sing, with the right warmth in the highs and musical, detailed mids that many of my other pups are missing.

I doubt the "NT" on the end of your model name concerns much more than cosmetics - perhaps Natural? - with FB probably being Figured Bubinga if my Ibanez initials recall is accurate. A lovely guitar.

Anyway, yeah, even if it's at some point in the future when the thread really is dead, I'd appreciate you adding anything you dig up on the QMs here. For me or the next guy. Cheers.
I just double checked the dates that I was looking at, and they were infact the correct ones, however me being a Kiwi doesn't help any either. Down here we write day, month, year. rather than month, day, year heh.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM

I just bought a QM1 on the bay to try on my RG570. But, since my current v7/8 pickups have 2 conductors and the QM1 has four (red, white, black, green) I'm not quite sure how to wire it on the standard switch. Anyone knows how to distinguish between the wires?

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ibanez catalog , paf pro , paf pros , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , signature guitar , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode