QM1 is three wire, not four. Help! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

QM1 is three wire, not four. Help!

Ibanez, in their wiring diagram for the S1520 lists V series pickups when it actually came with QM series. So the wiring diagram on the Ibby site is wrong.

I scrolled through various other years and finally found an S1600 series that listed the QM pickups but alas they have the QM1 listed as a four wire (see diagram). It's a three. See photo. The QM2 is also a three wire.

Any suggestions on how to wire the QM1 up? I went so far as to remove a bit of the outer sheath just to see if there was a green wire hidden down there. The wiring in the guitar was just crazy. Definitely not stock and I have no idea what the original owner was trying to go for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Re: QM1 is three wire, not four. Help!

Red is hot, white splits it, and the bare goes to ground. I should be right on that as it has been many years since I had one of those.
CosmicDebris is online  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Ok got that but when looking at the 5-way import pinout, I'm not sure I could get all the stock OEM pickup variations with just a three wire neck pickup. The diagram actually shows it as a four wire with an additional braided ground.

The neck red should go to the same spot but I'm not sure about the white neck pickup or the jumper wire going from terminal 2 (2nd from left) to terminal 7 (7th from left) as there's no longer a green wire coming from the neck pickup.

So I've wired it up like the diagram and just left the green/black wires out. I also saw this diagram for two hum buckers and a five way which leads me to believe I may have to put the white neck wire to the second terminal where the green wire would normally go:

I've plugged the guitar in a little Yamaha THR10 (no strings!) and tapped the pickups and I am getting sound. I just don't know what sort of combination I'm getting in the various positions. Good times.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Ok, I am by no means an expert. However, the position you put the red wire on will be full humbucking madness. The position you put the white wire on will split the HB with it likely being the north coil on. The other one you put to ground.

Sorry but my attention span will not allow me to study your diagram. I am only telling you what the wires do when you put them in certain positions.

Sorry, I can't be anymore help than that.
CosmicDebris is online  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey, every little bit helps. Thanks!
-m
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 AM

Reviews: 2

This diagram should work perfectly for you:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

That would be perfect! Strange they list it as a three wire for the RG. I've been doing nothing but soldering for the past two days after work. Wiring up the 1520 plus I had an S5EX1 show up today and I swapped in Prestige S5470's as the stock pickups were just horrible.

I'll go over the S1520 wiring again tomorrow. Thanks for the diagram, I really appreciate it. Something wasn't quite right with the way I had it wired up.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
That would be perfect! Strange they list it as a three wire for the RG. I've been doing nothing but soldering for the past two days after work. Wiring up the 1520 plus I had an S5EX1 show up today and I swapped in Prestige S5470's as the stock pickups were just horrible.

I'll go over the S1520 wiring again tomorrow. Thanks for the diagram, I really appreciate it. Something wasn't quite right with the way I had it wired up.
Your welcome man!!!
If you want more interesting options for you 1520, you can get a VLX-91 switch and wire it like a '94 S540......then you could have a '93 and a '94 pup setup!!! BTW.... you new '93 is BADAS$!!!!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Yeah again, thank you. That diagram you came up with worked and I managed to get both pickups back in and wired up. I ended up just using the 5-way out of my S5470 as that'd been replaced by the VLX91.

The 1520 is an H-H setup so no middle pickup, couldn't make it like the S540 which, after wiring three other H-S-H setups is probably a good thing. Such a complicated bundle of wires. I think I'd loose all my hair if I ever have to solder another one. Luckily I'm working on a PCB-based no solder solution for pots, pickups and switches. Should make swapping out pickups very, very easy and unlike Seymour's setup, you can use the pots and switches of your choice.

Anyway, gratuitous pic since she's such a beauty.

She's headed to a luthier for some fret R&R after I get everything back together.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
Absolutely gorgeous!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Why thank you sir. I have a feeling this one is going to be a favorite.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add, I got these cool ebony wood knobs from Stew Mac to replace the visibly worn volume and tone knobs. Tough to see in the photos but I think they really match the guitar. They have ebony pickup mounting rings too and I may add those.

Tags
qm1 , qm2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode