Question about js100 pick up height - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Question about js100 pick up height

Hi All,

Please help me if you can,

I have a js100 and it has the standard ibanez pick ups which come with it out of the factory, the thing thats causeing me to loose sleep is my pickups , the ones near the front (closest to the fretboard) seem to be sitting a lot lower than the ones at the back (nearest the trem) the ones nearest the trem seem to be around 3-4mm out of the body where as the one nearest the fretbord seems considerably lower , around 1 or 2 mm, when i bought it i seem to remeber them being the same height but i just dont know for sure, does anyone know if this is normal of if its possible they have dropped into the body some how i gently pushed down to check for any travel and there's no movement except the usual tilt from side to side (without being forceful), they still sit just above the body but only just and the rear ones seem to be quite a bit higher, I havent noticed any difference in noise or feedback or any buzzing or anything like that but its really bothering me because im sure they should be the same height , Any thoughts anyone?? ps I tried to upload a photo but it said the file was too big

Thanks in advance Appy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Question about js100 pick up height

Typically you'll have the neck pickup lower than the bridge one. This is normal, and it is like this to balance out the volume so there is no spikes when you switch from the bridge pickup to the neck one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Reviews: 1

Hi Appy2k, Those JS100's are nice guitars! Too add on to what LonePhantom said, you can raise or lower the pickups by using the 2 screws in the middle of the pickup rings. The 4 around the outer corners of the rings are screwed into the body of the guitar but the 2 in the center (on either side of the pickup) run thru the tabs of the pickup. What I usually do is start with the bridge pickup and lower/raise it until I find the output level that sounds good to me. Then I move to the neck pickup and switch back and forth between it and the bridge pickup to match the output level. Strum then switch pickups and strum. Balance the output. The little pole pieces in the pickups themselves can also be raised/lowered but I find that I can usually achieve a good balance just by adjusting the whole pickup. On my guitars, the treble side of the pickup usually sits a little closer to the strings than the bass side so don't worry about it if they are a little uneven. Have some fun experimenting!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Wow what fantastic responses, thanks you guys much very much appreciated, I can rest easy now. it was late at night last night when i posted this so I couldnt ring up the guitar shop!!. I could have sworn they were the same height on the neck and bridge, Must have been me imagining things in a panick lol! Again Thanks a lot i Know what im doing this evening !!!

Tags
pick ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode