Question about the PAFPro in the Rg3120.... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Question about the PAFPro in the Rg3120....

Is the PAF Pro in the neck position of the neck position of the RG 3120 a neck only pickup. Not sure if the PAF Pro is good in both positions or if there is a 'neck' pickup and a 'bridge'pickup version. In a few days I'm going to have an extra one and I might put into an RG570.

Also, I wasn't to happy with the tone zone in the 3120. In my mind I don't think the Tone zone is the best choice for Mahogany bodied guitars(although others may dig it). I'm wondering if they work much better in the RG570 with the basswood bodie and all.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:48 AM

Ditto on the tone zone. I have it in my RX-40 currently, a light bodied guitar which benefits from the TZ’s bass inclination very well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 08:34 PM

Try Air Zone/Breed/Norton/Steveīs Special!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 09:32 AM

Re: Question about the PAFPro in the Rg3120....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp69
Is the PAF Pro in the neck position of the neck position of the RG 3120 a neck only pickup. Not sure if the PAF Pro is good in both positions or if there is a 'neck' pickup and a 'bridge'pickup version.
DiMarzio doesn't make dedicated 'neck' and 'bridge' versions of their pickups, like Duncan does, but you can use many of their common neck pickups like the PAF Pro as low gain bridge pickups -- jazz cats use the Air Norton in the bridge, and the DiMarzio website says that Korn uses the PAF7 in the bridge because the lower output gives a clearer sound with all their amp distortion.

one thing to watch out for when swapping pickups from the neck position to the bridge is whether the magnet was flipped. pickups like the PAF have one coil of screw head pole pieces and another coil of 'slug' flat poles. to install this type of pickup the right way in the neck position, with the screw heads closest to the fingerboard, and to get the right magnet polarities for hum canceling coil cut combinations like the Ibanez 5-way switching for two humbuckers, you need to flip the magnet in the pickup. [unscrew the bottom plate of the pickup, CAREFULLY pop the magnet out, rotate it 180 flat, and slip it back in. the magnet polarity should be opposite of the bridge pickup, so the screw poles of neck and bridge should attract each other if you hold them close].

this isn't an issue for H/S/H configurations, since you want the humbuckers not to have opposite polarity so each of the inner coils will hum cancel with the middle single coil. [unless you use a Schaller Megaswitch, and then you do need to flip...] it also doesn't matter with a pickup like the Blaze II, that has the same pole pieces on both coils -- it will look the same whether installed 'backwards' or not.

so if your 3120 has 5-way coil cut combinations and the PAF Pro screw poles closest to the fingerboard, that pickup probably had the magnet flipped at the factory. if you put it in the bridge position, you might not get all your middle switch positions hum canceling unless you re-flip the magnet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 09:38 AM

I hope this doesn't look like thread-hijacking but it's pretty relevant to my situation..

I recently got an RG620QM (mahogany body) with V7/V8 pickups. I still have a Breed and have an evo on the way. How would the Breed sound in the neck position (or the evo in the neck, with the breed in the bridge)?
Or should I try and swap/trade the breed for something more suitable like an Air Norton or PAF Pro?
I really liked the PAF Pro in the neck of the JEM VBK I had, so I'm thinking maybe I should get one for this guitar, but then it would sound different as it's mahogany.. arrgh

Any ideas?

Tags
air norton , amp distortion , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , inner coils , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode