Question about "Seymour Duncan Blackouts Active Humbucker Set" - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Question about "Seymour Duncan Blackouts Active Humbucker Set"

I'd like to get active pickups, particularly the SD blackouts for my Korean RG but I have no idea what wood is the body of my guitar made of.

Does body wood matter in case of active pickups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 20
Re: Question about "Seymour Duncan Blackouts Active Humbucker Set"

Hello, In my opinion it does matter, I never actually tried the blackout on my other guitar, but if I compare the sound unplugged I can still hear most of the character of the guitar come through under distortion..
I think your korean RG is made of basswood, just like mine
Anyway after using the blackouts a few months I'm very satisfied with it, compared to dimarzio evo it is thicker sounding, and very punchy for palm muting. Much better for drop tuning in my case.
What style of music do you play? And what gear are you using?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM

I would say yes too. But when using active pickups there's a higher degree of colouration from the pickups. Where's the sonic ratio in passives may be 50/50 between pickups and wood, active are probably more in the region of 70/30.

Others will have their own views on that ratio, but to me, it's this simple. Active pickups are really bloody loud, and will amplify good things about your guitar AND bad things.

If you're into metal, and want to CHUG CHUG CHUG, go for them. They'll overload any amp you go into and give you that "Active" crunch. Some lead players swear by them for lead too, but for ME, if you're into lead, you're probably gonna want a bit more wood tone in there, so passives are probably more for you.

I have heard some people get GREAT tone out of EMG 85s and the like up in the neck, but my god, I would like to know how. To me, they're just CLEAR. It's like compressing a track to level out lows and highs. Convenient? Yes! Better than working a little more on technique to have more nuances in your* playing? Not in my opinion!

Last edited by SpikeSocietySucks; 01-19-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar * (used You're instead of Your)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I am still on the quest to properly identify my Korean RG so that I can determine what wood was used for the body.

My setup goes like this:

Guitar - Vox wah - Pocket Nano Metal Muff - Boss GE7 - Line 6 Liqua flange - stereo connected to two laney extreme amps.

The music I play is on the heavy side, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, Megadeth, etc, and my musical style involves a lot of palm muting and pinch harmonics, hence my desire to acquire active pickups.

I hope that I will be able to post pics soon so that I can post pics of my Korean RG and you guys can help me identify it

By the way, my guitar is H-H configuration, although I mainly use the bridge pick up (as I said, I tend to do a lot of pings), I plan to buy the SD Black Outs set

Last edited by Attyjace; 01-20-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: to avoid double post, I forgot to write something
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Reviews: 20

If your RG is made in korea, its most likely made of basswood.. If it is made in china or entry level indo like the GIO then I'm not so sure..

I think for the kind of music you play, blackout is a great choice, although you can do that also with passive pickups (like mustaine and iommi).

Btw, thats a pretty loud rig..!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 AM

Reviews: 11

They're awesome for everything from 80's rock to death metal. Get them

Tags
active pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode