Question concerning unusual wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
M.V

Reviews: 5
Question concerning unusual wiring

Hi there!
So I have this beautiful jem505 with stock v7 and v8 pickups which I intend to replace. I'm going to replace them with duncan sh-4 jb and sh-2 jazz. I'm buying those pickups because i'm getting them really cheap and they seem like good and suitable pickups i can't go much wrong with.
Since i'm also going to be replacing pots and the switch, i was considering putting in a push pull pot, just to broaden the amount of sounds i can make. I don't intend to put in a coil split as i wouldn't use it much (i play mainly metal), so i was wondering, what are some good alternative wirings you can get some nice shred/metal tones out?
I was thinking of maybe putting a split neck in series with the middle sc (the ibanez/dimarzio S1) - anyone has any nice experience with that?
I'm not asking how to wire it nor what are the possible wirings, i'm just asking what wirings would actually sound good at high gain.

P.S.: not to create another topic, my saddle lockdown screws on my edge tremolo are rusty, will soaking them in wd-40 or naphtha help? Any other alternatives? I can't buy new screws where i live, they're unavailable.

Thanks for the answers my fellow guitar players
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 PM

Re: Question concerning unusual wiring

the most usable variation would be series/parallel. Check out www.guitarelectronics.com for wiring ideas.

As far as how to get rust off, I'd like to know myself. I have an rg7620 that has some rusty bits that i'd like to try and clean up in case i want to trade or sell it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:35 AM

I have the SD SH-4 JB/SH-2 Jazz on my 1985 Westone Spectrum LX and I really like 'em. I have them set up with 3-way series/split/parallel switches, but if you're not into that, try doing a phase reverse on one of the pickups... probably the bridge (I've got mine set to do that too). It gives a pretty cool effect when you're running two pups at once. Might not be the kind of thing you use for an entire piece, but can create an alternative sound that still sounds great with distortion (actually I like it much better with distortion than clean) that you could use during a bridge or breakdown.

As for the rust, naphtha (or any solvent for that matter) will do nothing except evaporate quickly. The WD-40, coupled with some elbow grease and steel wool, will help because it's a lubricant (so it stays wet longer) AND it's designed for rust penetration. You're going to end up with some bare metal though when you're done... the rust has already removed whatever finish was present, so you will need to refinish in order to get the pieces looking new again. If you decide not to refinish, even though the cleaned bare metal will work much better than the corrosion, you're inviting the corrosion to return. Consider at least getting a spray can of clear lacquer and spraying over them (PRIOR TO re-installation) to give them a layer of protection.

Good luck... I'll be curious to see/hear what you decide to do!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Splitting a coil will be noisy on high gain and i don't like the out of phase sound. Maybe i'll set up a series/parallel switch, how does it do on high gain? I really want to know if anyone has any experience with having split neck and middle single coil in series. I'll also consider having neck and bridge both split in parallel - how does that sound compare to bridge or neck in parallel with the sc?

I also consider getting a treble bleed volume control - will that be good with the jb pickup?

Thanks for the tip against rust Briguy. What do i have to pay attention to when buying lacquer? Also the finish on my Edge trem is wearing off (cosmo black) and it doesn't really bother me visually but there are some "bumps" forming where there is no finish. What is the cause of this? What should i do? If i remove the finish would i have to refinish it? Also there is one saddle where there is a bit of bare metal seen (not chrome but what's underneath) - how should i refinish that (it's the low e saddle where my hand is present the most).

Thanks for the answers

Last edited by M.V; 03-21-2015 at 07:07 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 09:28 AM

As for the lacquer, go to an auto parts store and get an aerosol of clear lacquer. It'll be made for metal and is likely to be harder than the aerosols made for wood finishing. Also less likely to yellow with age.

I also installed a treble bleed on mine... it works fine, but I never really paid attention to whether or not my volume control worked poorly before. I'm afraid that a volume control is more of an on/off switch for me.

Not sure what you mean by "bumps forming," but it's probably corrosion of some kind... or possibly "gunk" buildup if it's an area you touch frequently. Either way, you can clean it up the same way as the other. Just try not to get the WD-40 on the finish of the guitar itself, and if you do, wipe it off right away! As a side note, make sure your steel wool is VERY fine (like #0000)... you don't want to scratch it!

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Thanks for the answer!
I've decided to go the simple way and have just the standard hsh wiring with a 5-way switch, as i can't find a 500k push pull pot near me and i probably wouldn't use it a lot. If anything i might install a switch instead of the tone knob i don't use much anyway.

Thanks for the advice concerning the tremolo cleaning. I can't really define well what it is but it's where the finish wears off there are bulging spots. I don't care for them i just don't want them to progress in any way. I will remove the finish or at least on the places it tends to wear off and then spray the lacquer over it.

Btw I've heard that ibanez puts linear pots in their guitar, does anyone know why is that?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
M.V

Just here to say that i've been sucessful in rewiring and polishing, my edge is shiny chrome and i like it and i chose sh-4 for bridge and sh-10 for neck and i'm happy with the choice, the guitar sounds much better and sh-4 has much clarity that i needed so much. I put in a 3 instead of 5-way switch that switched between neck and bridge and both in parallel and added a switch instead of the tone knob to turn on the sc and split both humbuckers.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Awesome! I'm very happy that it came out good for you!

You should post a pic!

Tags
rust , series , sh-2 , sh-4 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode