Question Rich Or Others - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Question Rich Or Others

I saw you had a Lawrence L-500. Have you played the XL500? Can you get similuar Nuno tones with it. I've heard clips that sound darn close to Nuno using the XL500.

I ask because a friend has one he wants to get rid of cheap. I like the tone of Lawrence's and how they can go from Dimes tone to a much better Nuno type tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Re: Question Rich Or Others

never used the xl-500, so i am not an expert. the l-500's i have used get the nuno tone easily. it's all about the high end in that pickup. i'd say if your buddy wants to get rid of an xl-500 for cheap, it couldn't hurt to try it.

rich
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
never used the xl-500, so i am not an expert. the l-500's i have used get the nuno tone easily. it's all about the high end in that pickup. i'd say if your buddy wants to get rid of an xl-500 for cheap, it couldn't hurt to try it.

rich
What is Dimarzios closest thing to an L500 or XL500. A lot of people say the X2N but I thought the Lawrence pups cleaned up better and had a smoother tone.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post

rich
I spoke to Bill and was informed the L-500XL was the pickup he made for Nuno's orginal guitars so I'm going to try it.

Would still like to know the closest match from Dimarzio though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I spoke to Bill and was informed the L-500XL was the pickup he made for Nuno's orginal guitars so I'm going to try it.

Would still like to know the closest match from Dimarzio though.

no match at all

two major differences the bl model has less compression by about 50 percent...and the dynamic signal structure as a example - if u palm mute (hard for instance) and if u strum hard the bl pup with have different gain and volume between those notes. the dimarzio x2n, has almost a exact dynamic signal structure from any note u play....either it be soloing, sweeping, tapping, fast arpegios across from thick strings down to thin or up and down skipping strings durring play....the notes all sound teh same, so your amp doesnt get louder all of a sudden between notes, or the highes dont have more or less gain than the lows, but it is more sensitive to playing dynamics, if u play notes hard and then soft and then hard you can hear the difference alot better then the bl because the x2n is highly compressed right out of the pickup, so your dynamic playing is more out there, heavier notes will sound different than lighter notes, but the output volume between them will be the same just the dymanics are more sensitive to your touch

bl pups are awesome i love em, but from what i tried out and people i talked to, some who wanted the umph and no holds bard went from the xl-500 to the x2n...

if i had a guitar with xl-500 id have to say id get it on a gibson.....with pagebucking wiring

man that'll be sweet
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I doubt the X2N can get the sweet tone that Nuno always has. If it could I would get one because I've always been pretty die hard Dimarzio.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM

yeah, nothing dimarzio makes sounds like the lawrences. the closest would be the x2n, but it sounds not even close. only because both have lots of high end. the lawrence actually doesn't have a lot of low end, where the x2n has decent bottom. the x2n has tons of output vs. the lawrence having great output witout being over the top...much like the super distortion. the x2n almost goes into active territory.

for the compressed thing that most guys talk about, i don't get that as much, maybe its my varied dynamics. i work strings and picking alot for the pickups to retain roughly the same output on nearly every technique. that was something paul gilbert brought to my attention in the intense rock 2 video, something i have always taken to heart. i can attest to the sensitivity of the l-500 at least. it does get bigger if you dig into it more. pick attack is VERY prevalent on the l-500. the x2n i found, was just too over the top. output wise and eq wise. great for extreme high gain stuff, but just not too versatile for my setup...i just like a ton of variety as far as styles. i like a guitar to give me the ability to play rock, metal, jazz, country, blues, indie, and pop at any given time. i just couldn't get that flexibilty with the x2n. the lawrence is almost like that, but the agressiveness coupled with a good tapped sound make the l-500 pretty useful. once i get my 4 conductor 59 to replace the 2 conductor i have in there now, my n2 will be alot like a js1000 as far as versatility(minus the high pass...don't use it anyway, i change channels and switch pickups for a clean tone) due to having a coil tap from the factory. no i just gotta get a petrucci switch for it as well...

rich
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I doubt the X2N can get the sweet tone that Nuno always has. If it could I would get one because I've always been pretty die hard Dimarzio.

i'd buy that for a dollar....

rich
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I thought having a pickup that responds well to pick attack is a good thing, so that would not necessarily be bad for the Lawrence.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I thought having a pickup that responds well to pick attack is a good thing, so that would not necessarily be bad for the Lawrence.
you are correct, sir!!!

rich
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I think I've decided on either the 500XL or a Steve's Special for my 1570. Can't decide between those yet.

I've heard some people say the 500XL is trebly in basswood and don't use it. This is weird since basswood is warmer on the scale than Bettencourts Paduk guitars.

Also the Steve's Special is bright and people like it in basswood. What's up?

Last edited by Thrash; 03-13-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Tags
clean tone , coil tap , palm mute , paul gilbert , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode