Questionable wiring job on RG550 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Questionable wiring job on RG550

Looking for some direct feedback here.

My amateur soldering jobs had left a terrible mess on the pots of my 550, so I had my guitar shop's wiring guy clean it up and re-install the original pickups.

Pics: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7969366...7631160691410/)

As you can see the soldering is quite clean, but I don't think he had dealt with a HSH guitar before where the humbuckers didn't have 4-conductor wire (like the V1 & V2). When he brought it into the shop he said something about it, how the pickups "couldn't be split" because of the lack of 4-conductor wire. I didn't know what he meant since obviously (to Ibby heads) they can be split. You can see how all the wires are attached to the last 4 points on the splitter (don't know the term), which I'm sure is not how it was before.

The concern is that it seems to sound a little funny. The humbuckers in particular don't have the girth I (think I) remember. The neck in particular has a very thin and unusually bright sound- it reminds me of the Humbucker from Hell I had in the neck slot for a few days and couldn't stand. The bridge pickup sounds not quite as bad, but just weak compared to what I remember.

Is this in my head, or does it need to be fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Questionable wiring job on RG550

It's not wired correctly.
I'll post pics in a bit.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM

My boyfriend told me he's run into a lot of so called 'techs' that are clueless.
He has a Stratocaster with single/single/humbucker and the tech he brought it to to replace the humbucker couldn't figure out how to wire it so that it split the coils.
It had four wires so I'm sure it can be done. I'll get him to look at the wiring section here.
This site is going to be a treasure trove of information for us.
Thank you!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
My boyfriend told me he's run into a lot of so called 'techs' that are clueless.
He has a Stratocaster with single/single/humbucker and the tech he brought it to to replace the humbucker couldn't figure out how to wire it so that it split the coils.
It had four wires so I'm sure it can be done. I'll get him to look at the wiring section here.
This site is going to be a treasure trove of information for us.
Thank you!
Be sure to check out my sticky at the top of this section.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Be sure to check out my sticky at the top of this section.
Thanks AlaskaBat! I did see that but duh, didn't register. You'll see me say time and time again I have many blond moments. It's genetics. I have been maintaining a 3.4 in school, so I guess i'm not dumb, just my moments. lol
I looked at the sticky and found what he was looking for. He's a klutz so he's afraid to try it himself. I can handle a soldering iron so I'm going to try it when I get home from vacation and see how I do.
Thanks again!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, AB (or others) do you know what sound is resulting from the current wiring job? In positions 1 and 5 I can tap the pole pieces of each coil on either humbucker and sound comes through, but seems louder on one coil than the other. So both coils are working (not coil tapped per se), but it sounds thinner. Are they in series?

Just trying to learn. The sound is somewhat reminiscent of a single coil but fatter... again kind of like the Humbucker from Hell tone.

Now the unsavory job of breaking this news to the tech!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 120

Sounds like they are wired in parallel. They probably just need to flip a couple of wires around.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Out of curiosity, AB (or others) do you know what sound is resulting from the current wiring job? In positions 1 and 5 I can tap the pole pieces of each coil on either humbucker and sound comes through, but seems louder on one coil than the other. So both coils are working (not coil tapped per se), but it sounds thinner. Are they in series?

Just trying to learn. The sound is somewhat reminiscent of a single coil but fatter... again kind of like the Humbucker from Hell tone.

Now the unsavory job of breaking this news to the tech!
Going by the pic you posted--you've got the leads connected to the wrong switch lugs.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

As I'm going about resoldering this job it strikes me that I would like to take the single coil out of the equation. I prefer the wiring setup on my old 520 (no middle pickup) where the middle position activates both humbuckers like a Les Paul.

To achieve this, could I simply not attach the single coil leads to anything (or remove it) and then wire the humbuckers like one would a 520?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 PM

If I read it correctly in another post <i can't find it now> you need a 'special' five-way switch for that.
The 'standard' switch won't give you the proper single coil or the two picups together options that you get on a 520.
I could have read it wrong, hopefully someone with more knowledge than i can chime in.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 AM

Reviews: 120

That's correct, the switches in the X20 range of guitars is not a standard 5 way Strat switch, but a switch made by Cortek for Ibanez. Go to an Ibanez dealer and ask them to order you in a 3PS1SC5 switch.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:16 AM

I know it's been MONTHS, but just wanted to let AlaskaBat know his 'sticky' helped with Jeff's Stratocaster.

I got it wired up so it turns off the bridge side coil on the bridge pickup when it's on with the middle pickup.

It wasn't hard at all.

Thanks again, AlaskaBat.

Tags
5-way , hsh , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode