questions about gravity storm on RG550 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy questions about gravity storm on RG550

hey guys,long time no see

i've been busy these few months and well...i barely turn the computer on these days.

i feel like leeching and i'm sorry.
but i've got my hand on steve vais new album,the story of light and well seens i've been searching around for pickups for a while now that gravity storm track really hooked me up...if you know what i mean!

so i searched the forums here and damn...nothing special about it,there isn't even a full review!

so i thought why not...let's be straight and ask it already.enough of this chatter you don't have time for it.
i just love the CL/LF combo sound but the problem is that combo doesn't scream!
i'm looking for a pickup combo that can scream and is sweet sounding.gravity storm fits in the gap here but here comes the second question...can gravity storm pickups handle palm mutes and down tunings?!
cause evelution combo couldn't do a thing on anything but flat E tuning.at least that's what i heard about them and read in reviews.
sorry to take your time and thanks in advance for the friendly replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Re: questions about gravity storm on RG550

oh and i forgot to ask

i heard they might sound muddy on basswood body
since i have a rg550 it is important.so any thoughts?

and yes i've seen your youtube videos,i've read the reviews.
i just didn't get my answers there.
thanks again
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 2

I'll be installing a set on my 550 when they arrive. I'll give my thoughts when they're in.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXcnXwUkM0c
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM

I don't know about how this might work in Iran, but doesn't DiMarzio have a pretty stellar return/swap policy, in general? In other words, if you decide you don't like them within 30 days, they'll work with you to find the model that WILL deliver the sound you're looking for.

Someone else chime in.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

you guys are sweet

thanks for replies
but...iran situation is pretty screwed up now.even music business is...ruined
i can't use ebay here so i have to ask friends to do me the favor form outside of iran
and sending things out of the borders is pretty...expensive

i wish this situation would end sooner than later.feels like i'm sitting in a cave eating coconuts while others are talking about their ipads...god!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

@6fingers

thanks man,seen that video.i know that the tone is not much different than evos on other amps.that's what the video says.it's a great review
but dosn't answer my questions.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

@rgfanatic

thanks man you are great.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arash_panahi2002 View Post
@6fingers

thanks man,seen that video.i know that the tone is not much different than evos on other amps.that's what the video says.it's a great review
but dosn't answer my questions.
There are palm muttings in my review so it does answer your question.
Evos can handle palm muttings the same way, you probably don't know how to set up your gear properly to get the sound you want, it's not evo's fault.With evos, I can play from pristine clean to death metal with any gear even a 100 dollars zoom, the problem is your knowledge about gear.
Instead of keeping exchanging pups, wasting money and never get what you want, learn more about your gear
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

@6fingers

calm down man...it's the first time i'm changing pickups..chill out.

yes i don't go around braging about my knowledge but that doesn't mean i have none

and i do know you are palm mutting there.i'm not idiot nor def the problem is evos can't possibly produce the sound i'm looking for.it's not about the music genre it's about the feel

i said i'm looking for a sweet sounding pickup and gravity storm just does that.
but palm mutting on evos are a bit harsh to my ears.so stop the "you are the idiot" gesture and keep in mind that people have different taste in music.i may not agree with what you do and what you like but that's no reason to question your knowledge or tell you to go and try everything!
ffs

and i do know that evos are great pickups and that you used gravity storm on that video.that's the main reason i'm asking...cause i don't like evo sound...and if gravity is just like that and can't deliver what i want then i'm gonna look for suggestions since dimarzio can't be found here in iran and i have to order it from out of our borders.and THAT is a pain in the butt
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
@6fingers

calm down man...it's the first time i'm changing pickups..chill out.

yes i don't go around braging about my knowledge but that doesn't mean i have none

and i do know you are palm mutting there.i'm not idiot nor def the problem is evos can't possibly produce the sound i'm looking for.it's not about the music genre it's about the feel

i said i'm looking for a sweet sounding pickup and gravity storm just does that.
but palm mutting on evos are a bit harsh to my ears.so stop the "you are the idiot" gesture and keep in mind that people have different taste in music.i may not agree with what you do and what you like but that's no reason to question your knowledge or tell you to go and try everything!
ffs
I'm completely calm, don't know why you think I'm not cause it's just a text and not facial expressions but I know, people read what they want.
There were no "you are the idiot" gesture in my reply, you got that but it isn't there.
I just tried to show you if you're not getting the tone you want, blaming pups won't help you at all, you'll keep changing pups and wasting money but still without that tone you want.
With evos you can play ANYTHING, it has nothing to do with feel or music tastes, it's about what gear can gives you.
Evos are well balanced and with good output and overtones, they easily can give you what you want and that's why I said you should learn about your gear cause pups are not the problem.
Yes there's a reason to question you knowledge, why not, is it a crime?
Based on your questions and what you're saying, you don't know how to get what you want from your gear and you're blaming pups, pay attention to my reply instead of keeping seeing things that are not there, your answer is learn how to get what you want from your gear, problem is not evos or gravity storms whatever.
Do you still think I'm not chill?
Well come over, I'm laughing

Last edited by 6fingers; 12-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

yeah i know what your trying to say and i did mention twice that i don't like the way evo SOUNDS...

to my ears they have too much mids.
i just love the CL/LF combo cause they sound sweet and yes i had a chance to try them out and evos at same time with same amp.
and i just couldn't handle the way evos sound.i just can't like em.i didn't say they can't deliver or anything...i just don't like them

that's all
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
yeah i know what your trying to say and i did mention twice that i don't like the way evo SOUNDS...

to my ears they have too much mids.
i just love the CL/LF combo cause they sound sweet and yes i had a chance to try them out and evos at same time with same amp.
and i just couldn't handle the way evos sound.i just can't like em.i didn't say they can't deliver or anything...i just don't like them

that's all
Too much mids?
Every gear have an equalizer.
If you love CL/LF what do you want from us?
I mean... buy them and be happy, make music.
What's the problem if you already know what you love?
Problem solved.
Still come over, bring some (oYo)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Too much mids?
Every gear have an equalizer.
If you love CL/LF what do you want from us?
I mean... buy them and be happy, make music.
What's the problem if you already know what you love?
Problem solved.
have you even read the main topic post?

i said i'm looking for something that can scream and sounds sweet.i like doing dive bombs and all but i need screaming pickups for that.CL/LF can't do that.
so i'm looking for something in between.

and yes fortunately know how to use equalizers.i couldn't get the sound i wanted from evos even after equalizing
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
have you even read the main topic post?

i said i'm looking for something that can scream and sounds sweet.i like doing dive bombs and all but i need screaming pickups for that.CL/LF can't do that.
so i'm looking for something in between.

and yes fortunately now how to use equalizers.i couldn't get the sound i wanted from evos even after equalizing
CL/LF can't scream?
So Petrucci tone can't scream?
Well dimarzio website has that pickups selector thing, that could help you.
Like webmaestro said dimarzio lets you try them for some time.
Another way is buying what your fav guitarist uses.
Like you said people have different tastes and ears, strangers telling you how pups sound won't help at all.
You best choice is buying dimarzios and exchange them till find what you want.

Tags
gravity storm , pickup question , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode